Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile phone +MP3 player + hackable

Hello my dear geeks and geekettes.

Need an advice. I want to buy inexpensive phone.

What I don't want: Windows platform(even when can be killed with fire and soaked in acid later on); Sony; Apple; Nokia; Android(will accept if it's repatchable to something else or allows visualization of of some mobile aimed Linux distribution).

What I do want in descending order: Linux; perfectly working; I can mess with it; MP3 player; upgradeable SD cards or reasonable amount of memory on the phone(25 > Gigs); reasonable speed of device; reasonable battery life (expectation is rather low anyway);GPS; Wireless connection, LAN connection(I can dream, right?)

I used to have OpenMoko, but it sucked donkey balls.(nice toy, useless phone) Is there something like OpenMoko, but doesn't, you know, suck, those, donkey nuts?

It will be pretty much my phone(good reception please, live in bunker, figuratively)/MP3 player(VERY Important!)/alarm clock, occasionally gaming platform and browser.

Ideally would be cool to have either Linux over visualization(it can be done, my buddy reported such thing with Ubuntu on his android, probably some emulation) or native Linux, where I can install source applications, but it MUST work well as phone and not drain battery in 4 hours as with Open Moko.

I am based, in so much beloved by Michael, Germany(any one from Saxony, Gorlitz? Wanna go for a beer?). Triband/Quad band is appreciated, whatever it takes to work in EU.

Any suggestions are welcome, and no, googling didn't help.
    Last edited by dimko; 11 June 2012, 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot to mention

Not many proper linux phones around, if you don't want Android. Also 32gb or more flash clashes a bit with "inexpensive".

Did you look at N9?

Comment

Maybe Tizen? Not released yet - but looks promising.

Comment

with this ammount of replies...

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        Not many proper linux phones around, if you don't want Android. Also 32gb or more flash clashes a bit with "inexpensive".

Did you look at N9?
        I am glad tor hear any proposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirager View Post
          Maybe Tizen? Not released yet - but looks promising.
          For this case, I would probably go with an Android phone for this particular case. What is Tizen? I have not heard much about it.

Comment

Just go with an android phone that is reasonably easy to hack with and comes with an SD card. Check the xda-developer's wiki for info on bootloaders, etc.

Comment

which one

There are always quirks.
              I bought Nvidia gtx 470, i payed extra 20 euro for overclocker card.
              i used it for around a year, decided to overclock it. There is no overclock on this line of nvidia cards! And how was i supposed to know it?(i did check if card works properly on Linux, but it was not enough obviously)
              i just want something that works and is reasonable simple to configure. thats why i asked advice.

Comment

any sugestions?

Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                Just go with an android phone that is reasonably easy to hack with and comes with an SD card. Check the xda-developer's wiki for info on bootloaders, etc.
                Can you suggest actual model? What do you have yourself?

Comment

Working...
                X