Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crucial T705 PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD On Linux

Phoronix: Crucial T705 PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD On Linux

In February was the announcement of the Crucial T705 PCIe 5.0 NVMe M.2 SSD while reaching retail channels in March. This is a very speedy PCIe 5.0 solid-state drive that Crucial recently sent over for our Linux testing and review.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo page 2

"matching the Coesair MP700 PRO​" should be "Corsair"

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for new and/or future iterations of the existing PCIe 5.0 controllers to get the temps to a better place.

Comment

Should do alright in a high end motherboard with ample case fans, I'm perfectly happy with my PCIe 4.0 Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB with it's 7300/7000 speeds. Maybe I'll build a new PC when PCIe 6.0 is the standard, however, these SSDs are becoming so fast that the speed becomes almost pointless as the endurance is not going up at all, someone who pushes these and would truly benefit from the speed will run out of write cycles within the warranty. We need more durable NAND to match the speed.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
          I wonder how long it will take for new and/or future iterations of the existing PCIe 5.0 controllers to get the temps to a better place.
          Sadly, the reward for efficiency is boosting speeds. So, just as this gets "handled", we'll be looking at PCIe 7 NVMe and talking about those stuck on archaic 5.0 platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
            Should do alright in a high end motherboard with ample case fans, I'm perfectly happy with my PCIe 4.0 Kingston Fury Renegade 2TB with it's 7300/7000 speeds. Maybe I'll build a new PC when PCIe 6.0 is the standard, however, these SSDs are becoming so fast that the speed becomes almost pointless as the endurance is not going up at all, someone who pushes these and would truly benefit from the speed will run out of write cycles within the warranty. We need more durable NAND to match the speed.
            don't be afraid to slap a fan on anything getting too hot. I did that for my hba (LSI 9305-24i) with a little 20mm fan, after I notice I was getting failures during summer, and I haven't had issues since. once I go pcie 5.0 I'll definitely be adding fans on the ssd and the chipset too if it's not already there.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

Sadly, the reward for efficiency is boosting speeds. So, just as this gets "handled", we'll be looking at PCIe 7 NVMe and talking about those stuck on archaic 5.0 platforms.
              [ me saying, choose, but don't expect people like behaving we're already within a 21. century ]

Comment

One or two PCIe 4.0 drives included in those benchmarks would've been nice for illustrating performance compared to what people are already using.

Because after upgrading to a 2TB WD SN850X (a high end PCIe 4.0 drive) my main desktop boots up so fast its basically made sleep mode redundant. Assuming the DRAM cache allows it to properly utilize the PCIe 5.0 bus these things are probably absolute monsters in terms of performance.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                  One or two PCIe 4.0 drives included in those benchmarks would've been nice for illustrating performance compared to what people are already using.

Because after upgrading to a 2TB WD SN850X (a high end PCIe 4.0 drive) my main desktop boots up so fast its basically made sleep mode redundant. Assuming the DRAM cache allows it to properly utilize the PCIe 5.0 bus these things are probably absolute monsters in terms of performance.
                  Yeah, I just replaced two Samsung 980 Pro 2TB drives with a pair of 4TB WD 850Xs, since the price was right, and I'm not feeling regret about leaving performance on the table in my 5.0 slots. My drives aren't as fast, but still fast, and my 4TB cost the same as the "sale" price on this new T705 *2* TB. I'll take 4TB PCIe 4.0 over 2TB PCIe 5.0 at the same price, any time.

Comment

Working...
                  X