Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I found a good enthusiast/programmer laptop (EU)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a good enthusiast/programmer laptop (EU)

Lightweight aluminium ultrabook with outstanding multimedia performance: The SCHENKER VIA 14 Pro boasts remarkable computing power and a fast 120 Hz 3K display.

It's basically a Tuxedo pulse 14 gen 3 but cheaper. 7840HS, 780M iGPU, 32GB 6400 LPDDR5, 14" 1800p 16:10 screen, USB-C charging. Shame there's no 64GB ram option to really future proof this thing but nevermind.

Must be the same manufacturer just a different brand, even down to custom lid option and the downloadable software it's very similar. German company but they ship worldwide, they even let you exclude the EU plug and SSD saving money. Do that and reduce warranty to minimum of 2 years and it's ~790 euros before VAT. I jumped on it from the UK because the big laptop manufacturers here are all scumbags and either intentionally reduce some element of a laptop to make you want to upgrade in a few years or you pay through the nose for a "business laptop".

It has 2x2280 slots for storage, which you can optionally set to mirror in the bios if you want. The bios is barebones otherwise. Fedora 39 just works, only had it for a week or so but man I'm glad I went for it.

I know it's too soon to speak but how is it performing so far - stability, cooling, quality of the plastics? The offer is tempting but I'm worried about a few things:

1) RAM is soldered, no possibility for expansion. If it was 64GB it would've been a serious contender in my shortlist.
    2) Custom Clevo chassis. Anything breaks probably the only place you can get replacement parts is the manufacturer's website.
    3) Some issues reported with the quality of these laptops on Reddit (keys fading after 5 days usage and whatnot). Their support team seems to be active there on the other side.

What is this BIOS option you are talking about - RAID 1 hardware or software controller? Is RAID-0 supported?

Also, did you experience this problem already? I believe this is the same Clevo chassis used:

Also see this:

My Tuxedo InfinityBook Pro 16 Gen 7 has a bulky heavy barrel charger so I wanted to use my 100W USB-C charger. But... surprise: when I plugged it in, the per...
    Last edited by TheGrave; 24 April 2024, 07:21 AM.

Comment

1) Yeah 64GB would have been perfect for me, but honestly unless something comes out this year I don't think the perfect laptop exists

2) It's light enough that I can lift it with one hand by the corners near the trackpad. It cannot be picked up by the screen

3) Keys haven't faded. I haven't noticed any issues. Not like I've benchmarked it to death but I have tested some all-core AVX512 loads and it gets warm and loud and throttles, under all other conditions it has not.

That youtube video is talking about some other intel tuxedo laptop that has a barrel charger. This laptop only has USB-C and is AMD.

The bios option didn't mention raid simply the option to mirror, so raid 1. I haven't tried it.

Comment

Working...
      X