SilverStone RM51 Is A Nice 5U Chassis For Large Servers & Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SilverStone RM51 Is A Nice 5U Chassis For Large Servers & Workstations

Phoronix: SilverStone RM51 Is A Nice 5U Chassis For Large Servers & Workstations

If you are looking for a 5U rack-mountable chassis for a high-end server or workstation, the SilverStone RM51 launched a few months ago as their latest offering in the high-end server enclosure space.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why 5U?!

Space/fixings for dual supplies?

Or... Wasted space for...?

Regards,
    Martin

Comment

"Our suuuuuuper-expensive, top-of-the-line chassis is rack mountable*!"

*Only if you buy our mounting rails, sold separately!

Comment

Originally posted by elml View Post
        Why 5U?!

Space/fixings for dual supplies?

Or... Wasted space for...?

Regards,
        Martin
        As noted, taller CPU coolers, larger radiators, and/or handling dual ATX PSUs, etc.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by elml View Post
          Why 5U?!
          Video Cards with the power connector facing top instead of the side of the card doesn't fit on a 4U rack. Learned that the hard way.

I expect than 5U would be better than 4U and the hump:
          We take a look at the ugly trend of server "humping" in the data center driven by the deep learning NVIDIA GPU compute clusters we have seen lately

Comment

Rack cases are insanely expensive. Bought one 4U case. It was around $120. I was disappointed. The sheets are cut in a way that hurts your hands when assembling. It's the same size as my Fractal Design cases, but can't fit 120mm case fan in the back, only 2 x 60mm. The front 5,25" slots were too tight and couldn't fit stuff like audio and usb panels. The lowest 3.5" HDD slots are so tight that it's hard to plug in sata cables. No cable management whatsoever. What a piece of shit.
            Last edited by caligula; 16 January 2024, 12:32 AM.

Comment

If you can cool a 400W server chip in a 1U chassis, I have to question the effectiveness of a tower cooler that warrants a 5U chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                If you can cool a 400W server chip in a 1U chassis, I have to question the effectiveness of a tower cooler that warrants a 5U chassis.
                Huge difference in noise level... I'd sit next to a 4U/5U 400W CPU server/workstation but not dare voluntarily sit next to a 1U one for an extended period of time.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Huge difference in noise level... I'd sit next to a 4U/5U 400W CPU server/workstation but not dare voluntarily sit next to a 1U one for an extended period of time.
                  That makes sense but considering the cost of this chassis and your limited physical space, wouldn't an AIO be better?

Comment

5 U and only two 3.5" drive slots?

Comment

Working...
                    X