Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 & Other Scarlett Audio Mixers To Be Supported By Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does kernel support mean something special? I have a behringer UM2 and it just works fine; is it because it is a USB device or are the Scarlett devices also just USB devices?

Comment

I assumed pretty much any USB audio mixer just used the USB Audio Class drivers.

Btw, does anybody know why the MixPre-6 II uses UAC 1.0 by default? I had to manually switch it to UAC 2.0 using udev rule. I heard it was because an bug in the kernel but that feels like it would have been fixed awhile ago.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        I would love to see a blind comparison done with all the hifi gurus on here... Claiming to hear difference in clarity between hardware that has a definition 10 times higher than their hearing.
        I'm not a "hifi guru". There's just less noise on the fancier stuff, I think? It was the sort of thing where I sent friends some new recordings I had done with the new hardware and they asked, "hey sounds good, did you do this one in a real studio?"

I think technically speaking, the big difference might be the preamps for the microphones. Really bad preamps are really obviously bad in ways normies can hear without special equipment. Really good preamps sound like what you expect to hear in normal music recordings. Ones in between are in between.

At least I think this is what's up? I dunno; the new hardware just sounds better in an obvious way without needing particularly fancy stuff to hear the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by NovenTheHero View Post
          Does kernel support mean something special? I have a behringer UM2 and it just works fine; is it because it is a USB device or are the Scarlett devices also just USB devices?
          The alsa mixer/control requires kernel support to match up the various sliders right.

Comment

I would love to see a blind comparison done with all the hifi gurus on here... Claiming to hear difference in clarity between hardware that has a definition 10 times higher than their hearing.
            We are talking about music making equipment not 1,000 dollar cable sniffing. Oh you would hear the difference between my old interface and new one. One is muffled the other isn't. I wouldn't just assume shit about people and just make blind statements.

This is not hi-fi talk which is a totally other subject not to be confused with what we are talking about. I just stated facts and another person agreed. Plus my new interface was only marginally more expensive than my old one, literally 20 dollars more.

You would clearly hear the difference it is not funny how apparent it is, it's like entering a dark room and not being able to see anything and turning the light switch on.

Savvy?
            Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post

Also, check out this project, which gives the Claretts (and the lowend Scarletts) first class support on Linux: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui
              When it comes to routing things I always used Ardour or Mixbus internal routing in the software. I no longer use my focusrite interface.

Comment

Fax. If there is any audible difference at the same real level for line level output or input, then there is a serious problem with the hardware design that has nothing to do with pricey components or materials. Every necessary component of these interfaces has been available cheap and good for at least 15 years.

The thing that sets some of these interfaces apart is that they have configurable direct routing of signals, which is useful if you want to monitor one of the preamp mic channels but not the rest, and capture all of them over USB.
                Last edited by microcode; 01 January 2024, 11:05 PM.

Comment

I was quite happy about this being truly plug and play. I have a scarlett solo. (opensuse tumbleweed).
                  The sound is a bit better then the sound from the onboard sound chip of the mobo.

Also very happy Focusrite has stated they will see if they can help the Linux dev. They are already giving him the hardware.
                  Source Linux musicians forum.

I had to unlock my device but I am not sure if I hear any difference from when it was not unlocked.

The manual tells you how. They first tell you to install software to unlock the device, but then there are also instructions on how to do it without that software.
                  Since they don't have a Linux version of that software (yet?) I was very happy I did not need that software even though my pc is dualboot.

(I also have two Adam TV 5 studio monitors, for mixing my music made with LMMS)

Comment

Topping DX3 Pro+ with Sennheiser HD600.

Objectively good.

Using closed back headphones at home is nonsense; so many people fall for the "studio" meme. Closed means an order of magnitude more distortion.

DT770 have V-shaped frequency representation, or same thing, they are inaccurate. None of these "studio" memes has timbre comparable with the HD600.

As for these popular "interfaces", they are overpriced garbage.
                    Last edited by ayumu; 02 January 2024, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
                      Topping DX3 Pro+ with Sennheiser HD600.

Objectively good.

Using closed back headphones at home is nonsense; so many people fall for the "studio" meme. Closed means an order of magnitude more distortion.

DT770 have V-shaped frequency representation, or same thing, they are inaccurate. None of these "studio" memes has timbre comparable with the HD600.

As for these popular "interfaces", they are overpriced garbage.
                      The DT770's are good, people use them for critical listening and they approximate well against consumer level earbuds/cans cheaper stuff so they are actually useful otherwise you wouldn't see them in professional studios. They are more of a nice comparison set. They do have a different purpose than MDR 7506's though which are pretty unforgiving if you think your track sounds good free of artifacts bad pitch etc, they reveal a lot of imperfections. Also open back vs closed back, both have their uses and depending on the task one can be excluded over the other due to being a poor fit for it.

You do realize this forum thread has absolutely nothing to do with your overly expensive cans and headphone amp right?

It has to do with music and audio production interfaces. Never in a million years would I buy HD600's I have a tendency to break headphones while doing stuff with audio. I need headphones that don't cost me nearly half a grand when I need to replace them.
                      Last edited by creative; 02 January 2024, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X