Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How compatible will my new PC be with Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll put that purchase aside at the moment because I have a feeling that it's going to cost me quite a lot.

Currently I'm searching for a cooler for my onboard graphic card because the temperature raises very fast when playing a game. Windows already showed me 2 blue screens and shut a few times down.

Comment

Actually I do seem to have a big problem which is not directly caused by Linux because it's happening in Windows too (and even more often).
      My computer crashes or freezes when I play a game, such as vendetta-online, combat arms, cossacks II, etc.

I have a case cooler but my onboard Nvidia 8200 works by default at 60?C and when playing a game it raises (I don't know how high). Could this be caused by the Nvidia chipset?

Comment

Problem solved: I bought an Nvidia 9400 GT card. The 260 GTX will have to wait.

Comment

I guess I'll update this thread with the solution since I forgot to do it.

The issue was actually caused by a voltage setting in the BIOS of the motherboard. I had just set the RAM voltage to the right value instead of on auto and my problem was fixed. I would have never found a solution without the great support of the Dutch Asrock support staff.

Now I bought an ATI Powercolor HD 4890 and Samsung 24" T240 screen and I'm scared to use it in Linux... Well, I'll see how my experience will be soon enough.

So far I can't check the power usage but can you suggest a not too expensive tool to do the job?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
            Now I bought an ATI Powercolor HD 4890 and Samsung 24" T240
            Thanks
            Nice monitor for the price, beware that the HDMI connection doesn't give the correct mode lines in linux though. DVI and the Analog work fine though. I've got a couple of them and the only real thing I wish it had was VESA mounting capability.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Nice monitor for the price, beware that the HDMI connection doesn't give the correct mode lines in linux though. DVI and the Analog work fine though. I've got a couple of them and the only real thing I wish it had was VESA mounting capability.
              I'm not really planning to use HDMI and to be honest, I don't really know why I should. The only stuff I know about it is that is has built in video and audio support with some kind of copy protection and that it's used for watching Blu-ray videos.

It seems like a good screen indeed but I had no idea that 24" was THAT big. Hopefully it won't cause too much trouble with web pages. But I'll only be able to check that later as I had to send it back because it didn't work...

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                So far I can't check the power usage but can you suggest a not too expensive tool to do the job?
                You could try one of these.

Comment

Working...
                X