Linux 6.6 To Finish Gutting Wireless USB & UWB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
    I also never saw anything UWB in the wild, and I actually owned a WiMAX modem!

WiMAX is not that rare.
    WiMax Plans - Bringing broadband to blackspot areas.

With still actively deployed networks.

Yes in many countries WiMax is about as rare as cable tv boxes. Yes places like Australia cable tv boxs are also insanely rare.

WiMAX has been around in one form or another now for 2 decades then think how little you see of an item that been around and is in active use for over 2 decades.

Wireless USB over UWB is only really around for 3 years.

UWB items that are not USB related you see in the wild also kind of explain another reason why particular regulators were not so keen on allowing USB form.

Yes factory/production positioning systems and human detecting radar for safety inside some of these factories are also UWB.

Yes this stuff appears in china and other non USA places around the world before Wireless USB over UWB is even an idea.

Yes general consumer does not see much of the UWB positioning systems or UWB radars as they don't have much use outside factory usage.

The Wireless USB over UWB that being removed really did not stand a chance.

Also if you have seen a iphone you have seen a UWB device just not the horrible broad I hit everywhere in the radio spectrum thing and not a item attempting to send USB protocol over unstable connection.. Yes apple restricted there devices to 6–8.5 GHz so keeping them out of the positioning and radar usage where the Wireless USB over UWB was 3ghz to 10ghz. Yes the most common UWB device with consumers is apple devices and apple did not agree with Wireless USB.

Comment

Regarding UWB, it seems strange is being removed since it's now used by iOS and Android devices for tracking AirTag-like devices I believe...
      There's also an API for Android that devs can use in their apps... I'd bet that in like a year time, these patches will be reverted (unless Android is doing it in userspace? Is it possible?)...

Comment

Originally posted by tesfabpel View Post
        Regarding UWB, it seems strange is being removed since it's now used by iOS and Android devices for tracking AirTag-like devices I believe...
        There's also an API for Android that devs can use in their apps... I'd bet that in like a year time, these patches will be reverted (unless Android is doing it in userspace? Is it possible?)...
        The UWB removal is the UWB for Wireless USB. This is a different protocol to what Apple and Android uses on UWB and different controllers.

Apple and Android UWB is based on IEEE 802.15.4-2020 this is not the Wireless USB UWB that being removed. Yes IEEE 802.15.4 is own directory in the Linux kernel for all it drivers.

Yes the air tags of apple they are IEEE 802.15.4-2020 HRP and drivers for that are not in the UWB directory of the Linux kernel but instead in the .

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/IEEE802154.html << this would be the android/linux kernel stuff for talking to airtags.

https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/UWB.html << and this is the bit just for Wireless USB.

Yes both are interface with controllers that send out UWB signals. But they are totally incompatible with each other. So UWB for Wireless USB controllers cannot talk to a IEEE802154 supporting controller. Yes IEEE802154 is based on network protocols where signals are expected to get lost.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
          The UWB removal is the UWB for Wireless USB. This is a different protocol to what Apple and Android uses on UWB and different controllers.
          Thanks a lot for clarifying that. I also thought that removal affects UWB used in Samsung/Google/Apple smartphones. That would be quite unexpected given car manufacturers start using UWB for using smartphones as car keys.

Comment

Working...
          X