Recommendations for a SFF x64 box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a SFF x64 box

I want to buy a small form factor x64 machine for (mainly Debian) Linux use. I'm willing to spend up to approx £500.

I'm not a gamer so I'm not too bothered about having a beefy GPU but I would like the ability to use an eGPU via Thunderbolt if I felt the need for a better GPU. That's a nice to have more than being essential.

I know the radeon drivers have improved a lot over recent years but I still seem to get better results under Linux using Intel iGPUs so I'm biased to Intel over AMD in that respect.

I want at least 1x m.2 slot thats at least PCIe 3.0 but ideally PCI 4. At least 2x SATA 3 connectors would be nice. The more ports the better really but obviously most SFF boards are a bit lacking when it comes to expansion.

I've already got a decent i7 laptop with a NVIDIA GPU so that will continue to be my main machine but I want another machine for testing distros, configs, media server and encoding duties etc etc.

It should supports at least 16 GB of removeable DDR4 RAM and I'd prefer it to be silent and use a minimal amount of power.

The sort of things I've been looking at include the Odroid H3 / H3+ and some of the Intel i3/i5 NUCs.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by danboid; 11 April 2023, 10:02 AM.
Working...
X