Lucky 13? AMD Pensando Elba SoC Linux Enablement Revised The 13th Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky 13? AMD Pensando Elba SoC Linux Enablement Revised The 13th Time

Phoronix: Lucky 13? AMD Pensando Elba SoC Linux Enablement Revised The 13th Time

For more than one year and now up to thirteen rounds of patch review, the AMD Pensando Elba SoC support continues in its trek toward the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish AMD would make ARM-based (or RISC-V based) CPU for the desktop or the laptop, that would be something!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wish AMD would make ARM-based (or RISC-V based) CPU for the desktop or the laptop, that would be something!
      Eh I dunno, RISC-V would be a pain to actually use right now.

ARM would be better... but things that could make it interesting (a huge GPU/NPU, a ton of E cores, really wide P cores like Apple) are probably easier to do in x86 anyway, and they havent even done that for market reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

Eh I dunno, RISC-V would be a pain to actually use right now.

ARM would be better... but things that could make it interesting (a huge GPU/NPU, a ton of E cores, really wide P cores like Apple) are probably easier to do in x86 anyway, and they havent even done that for market reasons.
        Plus ARM is already dominated by Qualcomm, MediaTek, Unisoc, Samsung, Apple, etc. They'd have to come up with something mindblowing to even stand a chance. Intel failed at that years ago (my Motorola Razr i still cries in my closet, but it really was a fantastic thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Plus ARM is already dominated by Qualcomm, MediaTek, Unisoc, Samsung, Apple, etc. They'd have to come up with something mindblowing to even stand a chance. Intel failed at that years ago (my Motorola Razr i still cries in my closet, but it really was a fantastic thing).
          Well, given how Qualcomm alone has created this huge E-waste problem (thanks to their bullshit and yes, part of that blame falls under linux thanks to deliberately chosing to not have a stable driver ABI on the kernel side) AMD might actually sell an ARM SOC that its properly supported for longer time.

So I would love an AMD ARM SOC with proper FOSS support and yes even AMD GPUs in them!

Just look at how even the most antiFOSS company Ngreedia has provided crazy long term support to their Shield TV devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            unisoc? the dell intel x86 android 4.4.4 tablet i've used was the opposite of fantastic and not simply due to the 1gb ram

but i dont think anything arm on desktop/server/laptop needs to be 'mindblowing', the tolerances are much looser than a fanless single digit watt phone with constrained battery size

Comment

Originally posted by kn00tcn View Post

unisoc?
              Unisoc is found in a lot of lower-end and sometimes midranges devices, esp. ones from the past four years. In 2021 they were the fourth largest in the world in mobile SOC's, just behind Apple (with MediaTek being Home and Qualcomm #2). And they are still growing rapidly.
              Last edited by Vistaus; 12 April 2023, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Well, given how Qualcomm alone has created this huge E-waste problem (thanks to their bullshit and yes, part of that blame falls under linux thanks to deliberately chosing to not have a stable driver ABI on the kernel side) AMD might actually sell an ARM SOC that its properly supported for longer time.
                I agree, but I was talking from a business perspective. AMD doesn't need convince users, they need to convince manufacturers. And that's going to be an issue in such a competing market space as the mobile world where even big brother Intel failed.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"when they were a a stealth start-up" should be "when they were a stealth start-up"

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
                    Michael

Typo

"when they were a a stealth start-up" should be "when they were a stealth start-up"
                    Thanks fixed.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X