Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.3 Adds Support For Tmpfs IDMAPPED Mounts - Benefits systemd, Kubernetes & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 Adds Support For Tmpfs IDMAPPED Mounts - Benefits systemd, Kubernetes & More

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 Adds Support For Tmpfs IDMAPPED Mounts - Benefits systemd, Kubernetes & More

Introduced to the mainline kernel two years ago with Linux 5.12 was the IDMAPPED mounts functionality that is useful from systemd-homed to containers and other use-cases. Since then more Linux file-systems and software has added support for IDMAPPED mounts and it's being furthered along now with Linux 6.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, a Linux-only feature pushed by Microsoft to benefit systemd I'm grabbing popcorn and settling down to watch the rants and conspiracy theories.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
      Wow, a Linux-only feature pushed by Microsoft to benefit systemd I'm grabbing popcorn and settling down to watch the rants and conspiracy theories.
      For more context, it is being pushed by a long term kernel developer who used to work for Canonical prior to this and is the current maintainer of LXC/LXD. Microsoft has plenty of veteran kernel developers (Linux stable series comaintainer for example) and several systemd developers (Lennart and others). They also have developers focused on upstream Python performance and several other key open source projects. Azure is one of their fast growing business units and a majority of customers there use Linux so all of this makes plenty of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

For more context, it is being pushed by a long term kernel developer who used to work for Canonical prior to this and is the current maintainer of LXC/LXD. Microsoft has plenty of veteran kernel developers (Linux stable series comaintainer for example) and several systemd developers (Lennart and others). They also have developers focused on upstream Python performance and several other key open source projects. Azure is one of their fast growing business units and a majority of customers there use Linux so all of this makes plenty of sense.
        Of course I know all that and I'm one of those who think that having "Microsoft" written on something doesn't automatically make it evil by itself. It was a joke, but I'm willing to bet that we'll get comments that mean it seriously.

Comment

Working...
        X