Linux Kernel Patches Posted For USB Support With Realtek RTW88 WiFi Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
    Are you actually using that out-of-tree driver with an USB WiFi dongle housing said chip by Realtek?
    Not as a dongle. Some devices, like the Touch Dynamic Quest 10 rugged tablet have this wifi chip built-in.
    I don't know about the driver state, though, it was a long time ago that I needed to work with that tablet.

Comment

Are you actually using that out-of-tree driver with an USB WiFi dongle housing said chip by Realtek?
      If so, could you please have a look whether that driver is causing absurdly high CPU load on your system?

I'm asking because I once tried that community driver, and it was causing around 25 % CPU load on one core with an Intel i5-6500, which is simply unacceptable, thus useless.
      More than two years as main 24x7 home AP over 5GHz band without majors issues. Is not perfect but works.

Comment

If so, could you please have a look whether that driver is causing absurdly high CPU load on your system?

I'm asking because I once tried that community driver, and it was causing around 25 % CPU load on one core with an Intel i5-6500, which is simply unacceptable, thus useless.
        Didn't you think it could have been for another reason? How did you realize that CPU usage is due to the controller?

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

Didn't you think it could have been for another reason? How did you realize that CPU usage is due to the controller?
          Because the output of the following command told me so:
          Code:
          ps aux | grep -i rtl

Comment

Because the output of the following command told me so:
            Code:
            ps aux | grep -i rtl
            This is what I see:
            Code:
            [franco@pc ~]$ ps aux | grep -i rtl
            franco     75565  0.0  0.0   9540  2596 pts/1    S+   01:08   0:00 grep -i rtl

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Castillo View Post

This is what I see:
              Code:
              [franco@pc ~]$ ps aux | grep -i rtl
              franco 75565 0.0 0.0 9540 2596 pts/1 S+ 01:08 0:00 grep -i rtl
              Sorry, since it has been quite some time since I had used that community driver once, I thought it was named "rtl8812au" like the chip itself, while in fact it is only called "8812au".

Therefore, here is the corrected command:
              Code:
              ps aux | grep 8812
              Please post the output here, so we can see how much CPU time that driver is eating on your machine (preferably while idle & also while downloading something).

Comment

Sorry, since it has been quite some time since I had used that community driver once, I thought it was named "rtl8812au" like the chip itself, while in fact it is only called "8812au".

Therefore, here is the corrected command:
                Code:
                ps aux | grep 8812
                Please post the output here, so we can see how much CPU time that driver is eating on your machine (preferably while idle & also while downloading something).
                I haven't noticed a change when idle or downloading:
                Code:
                [franco@pc ~]$ ps aux | grep 8812
                franco      3413  0.0  0.0   9540  2512 pts/1    S+   15:31   0:00 grep 8812
                When using fast.com:
                Code:
                [franco@pc ~]$ ps aux | grep 8812
                franco      3476  0.0  0.0   9540  2728 pts/1    S+   15:32   0:00 grep 8812
                By the way, I use morrownr's version. which also has its problems.
                Last edited by Franco Castillo; 25 May 2022, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X