Fwupd 1.7.7 Released For Firmware Updating More Logitech Devices On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fwupd 1.7.7 Released For Firmware Updating More Logitech Devices On Linux

Phoronix: Fwupd 1.7.7 Released For Firmware Updating More Logitech Devices On Linux

Fwupd 1.7.7 is out this morning as the newest version of this open-source firmware updating solution that pairs with the Linux Vendor Firmware Service (LVFS) for allowing robust BIOS/firmware updating under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No matter how often I use Fwupd I always think Firewall before remembering Firmware.

Comment

I wish there were some way of applying pressure to vendors to support old desktop and laptop PCs. I run some Linux laptops, but if I want to update the firmware, I have to run Windows. There isn't even a FreeDOS firmware updater or an UEFI firmware updater: it's Windows or nothing.
      I realise the fwupd project has very little say on the matter - this is not a criticism of the project.

Comment

Now more than ever you can actually push to them the importance of this project to the vendors. FWUPD has come a long way and proven to be a powerful tool.

If you are honest and open (and not just 'demanding'), you can write companies mails like:
        I use device X and see that there are several firmware versions Y and Z. I know the device is no longer officially supported, but it would add for me a lot to the value of the company if I knew that they care about such things. Maybe you could consider adding support for those devices as well, it would be very much appreciated.

Something along those lines. In some companies there are actually engineers that care that might catch such mails. And they might be able to explain the effect of 'perceived brand value' to their managers to get some time to add the support.

Or maybe this is just wishful thinking of me…

Comment

Working...
        X