Linux 5.17 Pushed Back Due To The New Spectre Attack, Other Headaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 Pushed Back Due To The New Spectre Attack, Other Headaches

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Pushed Back Due To The New Spectre Attack, Other Headaches

Linus Torvalds was hoping to release the stable Linux 5.17 kernel today but instead opted for Linux 5.17-rc8 as an extra release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Another "bulls**t" vulnerability. There is still to appear a working exploit of these "vulnerabilities". I always turn off all mitigations for a 15-20% speed increase!

Comment

Yeah this stuff is only relevant where the stakes a high like at corporations, but here in front of a PC on Linux I can't get a virus even if I wanted!

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Yeah this stuff is only relevant where the stakes a high like at corporations, but here in front of a PC on Linux I can't get a virus even if I wanted!
        You seem like the kind of person that would enable hyper threading in OpenBSD despite it being disabled for security reasons. Or insist on using Linux despite it being less secure than OpenBSD.

Comment

Another "bulls**t" vulnerability. There is still to appear a working exploit of these "vulnerabilities".
          That's what the Iranians told a week before STUXNET entered their systems :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by AMiguelTrindade View Post
            Another "bulls**t" vulnerability. There is still to appear a working exploit of these "vulnerabilities". I always turn off all mitigations for a 15-20% speed increase!
            Yeah, mitigations=off had become normal, and seems like the sensible default, unless changed otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by pt21 View Post
              That's what the Iranians told a week before STUXNET entered their systems :angel:
              Lucky us, most don't run nuclear plants that may be interesting targets for State sponsored hackers. If you run such a critical target, by all means go a little slower and mitigate. The rest of us don't really need to care.

Comment

Working...
              X