Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Razer HID Driver Coming To Linux 5.18 For Dealing With Non Spec Compliant Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Razer HID Driver Coming To Linux 5.18 For Dealing With Non Spec Compliant Hardware

Phoronix: Razer HID Driver Coming To Linux 5.18 For Dealing With Non Spec Compliant Hardware

Thanks to Red Hat engineer Jelle van der Waa, the hid-razer driver is set to be merged into Linux 5.18 next month for dealing with Razer hardware not complying with the HID standard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why help support a vendor who doesn't care about FLOSS software and operating systems? Seems like it is enabling them to produce other crap hardware that is not standards compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      Why help support a vendor who doesn't care about FLOSS software and operating systems? Seems like it is enabling them to produce other crap hardware that is not standards compliant.
      Because if nothing works on Linux then nobody will use Linux so therefor nobody will make hardware that works on Linux, it's a vicious cycle. Linux cannot afford any clout on the desktop space, it's virtually non-existent there. If it doesn't go out of it's way to support things indifferent to it, then nobody will ever care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        It is not about encouraging vendor, it is about helping users that ended up buying a hardware before they knew vendor didn't map buttons properly. Otherwise users will end up mad at Linux distro, Linux in general, will throw away the keyboard to get another one (if not selling second-hand) or will install Windows instead in the worst case.

Either way, it will be the user who suffers, not the vendor if this is not handled properly. I agree this is unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
          This new driver will ensure the macro keys are mapped to XF86tools and XF86Launch5
          I read the commit otherwise though. It says, quoting:

Originally posted by Jelle van der Waa
          by default, these are mapped to XF86Tools and XF86Launch5 - XF86Launch8. The driver remaps them by default to macro keys with an option to retain the old mapping
          As I read, it's saying XF86tools..XF86Launch5 were the old mappings, whereas the driver maps them now to macro keys (whatever that is).

Comment

Originally posted by nazar-pc View Post

It is not about encouraging vendor, it is about helping users that ended up buying a hardware before they knew vendor didn't map buttons properly. Otherwise users will end up mad at Linux distro, Linux in general, will throw away the keyboard to get another one (if not selling second-hand) or will install Windows instead in the worst case.

Either way, it will be the user who suffers, not the vendor if this is not handled properly. I agree this is unfortunate, but it is what it is.
            This is a fair point, it is not fair but makes sense.

Comment

Long time FOSS evangelist, not first time poster.

Thank you to RedHat and Dev van der Waa. For making this happen. I've actually read everyone
              else's posts before posting, to get more of a perspective.

A question I have is WHY nearly two decades after HID is a thing the keyboard (the USB/HID least
              stressed member, not even with 8K refreshes) is not functional out of the box.

I get the part where people buy this, so we Linux/FOSS people want to make it work for them. Sure.
              What I don't get is where the MFG 'chose' or 'misconfigured' or 'didn't do it right' so that the keyboard
              wouldn't work out of the box.

WHY???

So good on RH and Mr. Van der Waa. It's always better to be liberal in what we accept, and another
              in-kernel driver won't hurt. But why is it a thing that needs doing in 2022?

Ehud

Comment

That way vendors can force users to install drivers and collect some telemetry I guess.

Personally I'm avoiding keyboards from gaming brands. And there are also good gaming mices that doesn't have a vendor driver even on Windows, e.g. Zowie.
                Last edited by puleglot; 20 February 2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gavron View Post
                  Long time FOSS evangelist, not first time poster.

Thank you to RedHat and Dev van der Waa. For making this happen. I've actually read everyone
                  else's posts before posting, to get more of a perspective.

A question I have is WHY nearly two decades after HID is a thing the keyboard (the USB/HID least
                  stressed member, not even with 8K refreshes) is not functional out of the box.

I get the part where people buy this, so we Linux/FOSS people want to make it work for them. Sure.
                  What I don't get is where the MFG 'chose' or 'misconfigured' or 'didn't do it right' so that the keyboard
                  wouldn't work out of the box.

WHY???

So good on RH and Mr. Van der Waa. It's always better to be liberal in what we accept, and another
                  in-kernel driver won't hurt. But why is it a thing that needs doing in 2022?

Ehud
                  The way I read it, the keyboard *is* essentially functional out of the box. It's just that, instead of the officially-defined macro keycodes, the macro keys send bogus keycodes that are specifically intended to be assigned to things like "expose" and "search". The thing is, anybody who wants to map macro keys to do something is going to have to set up the keybinding manually anyway. In which case, it barely matters what keycode the macro keys send, as long as they're all different and don't collide with any other key on the keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X