Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii U Linux Support Discussed - But Lacks GPU, Broken Multi-Core, USB Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Wii U Linux Support Discussed - But Lacks GPU, Broken Multi-Core, USB Issue

Phoronix: Nintendo Wii U Linux Support Discussed - But Lacks GPU, Broken Multi-Core, USB Issue

One of the developers involved in the initiative of porting the Linux kernel and open-source software to Nintendo's Wii U game console has brought up the possibility of getting the kernel changes mainlined into the Linux kernel. While Linux on the Wii U may sound exciting - especially for those having the aging console otherwise collecting dust - but the Linux support falls short for now and it would be a lengthy process to get the code cleaned up and properly upstreamed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

why do we need Nintendo's Wii U game console if we have valve steam deck ?
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
      You can dualboot and play good games?

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        Because you bought this console 10 years ago and have it regardless.

Comment

I would prefer a greate Wii U Gamepad support. Could be cool.

Comment

I would like to see the wiiu gamepad working on my desktop. that could be neat

Comment

Wii U with these three PowerPC cores + 2GB RAM = a great dockerized “pi hole” or UniFi controller, etc.

Would be great to see the R600/700 GPU stack have OpenCL support, make a little Wii U cluster just for fun.

Other fun thing would be to have Minecraft running on it with Optifine.

Or just like. Also be able to use the controller as like a mobile display to have for htop or other monitoring tools.

Or of course, as a little desktop to take around the house to stream games on steam on (poor man’s steam deck) or like, use with a wireless keyboard and mouse to do some document editing on when needed

Comment

Honestly the specs on this system are better than some Linux Chromebooks you can buy today or just a few years back.

Comment

I still hold out hope that some day all three cores + GPU acceleration would be available.

(Really wish Nintendo would dump some Linux support out there for their end of life hardware)

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
                    I still hold out hope that some day all three cores + GPU acceleration would be available.

(Really wish Nintendo would dump some Linux support out there for their end of life hardware)
                    that would be pretty nice indeed

Comment

Working...
                    X