Linux 5.17 Lands Fix For Hanging If Ejecting A Broken Floppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Please support floppies. They aren't practical, but digital recovery and preservation makes it a necessity.

There's hardware floppy emulators such as Gotek ones, but sometimes you need to read something from a damn floppy.

The same about ancient and unused filesystems, there's a niche for being able to read them natively. And recovery companies are extremely expensive.
    Oddly the older you get it's hard drives you remember with nostalgia, not floppies.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Some of you ever called those "diskettes" back then? We did it here in Brazil, but I don't remember reading or hearing English speakers calling those "diskettes", just "floppies".
      In Argentina we all call them diskettes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
        How about actually fixing the stupid two decades-old issue of having the entire Linux kernel hang when trying to unmount a drive that has been improperly removed, or a disconnected network share?

Hell, Windows never had a problem with such things since day one.
        have you tried eject dvd data disc with bad section and watch windows blow up ?

Comment

They are a must for keyboardists. If you have 80's and 90's keyboards around, you must have a floppy disk drive. Sometimes a FDD emulator is simply too expensive or unavailable.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
            They are a must for keyboardists. If you have 80's and 90's keyboards around, you must have a floppy disk drive. Sometimes a FDD emulator is simply too expensive or unavailable.
            Is that due to the firmware or the physical shape/interface? ...because, if it's the former, the FlashFloppy project provides a replacement firmware for "whichever Gotek floppy emulator with the right physical connector and LCD is cheapest on eBay wherever you are" that supports a bunch of those.

(Spoiler: The Gotek floppy emulators are effectively STM32F5 development boards. Just open them up with a bog-standard small Phillips screwdriver, bridge a couple of contacts to put them in programming mode, plug into your PC with a USB A-A cable, and flash with a standard DFU flashing tool. I soldered some pin header on to make it simpler when reflashing mine for my Atari ST, but the instructions show it without any soldering.)

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Some of you ever called those "diskettes" back then? We did it here in Brazil, but I don't remember reading or hearing English speakers calling those "diskettes", just "floppies".
              Diskette was often used here in Canada for 3.5" disks.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post

Diskette was often used here in Canada for 3.5" disks.
                *nod* Probably because French is our second official language... though that's not a guarantee. See, for example, how we follow the American choice to say Zucchini rather than the British Courgette. (The Italian and French for "baby marrow", respectively.)
                Last edited by ssokolow; 26 January 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                  WoW , i thought Floppies were Dead
                  One could say they.. flopped in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                  X