Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple M1 USB Type-C Linux Support Code Sent Out For Testing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apple M1 USB Type-C Linux Support Code Sent Out For Testing

    Phoronix: Apple M1 USB Type-C Linux Support Code Sent Out For Testing

    The latest patches sent out for review/testing on the long mission for enabling Apple M1 support on Linux is the USB Type-C connectivity...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...B-Type-C-Linux

  • #2
    If only Apple released at least some documentation for their hardware it would be really nice, but...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      If only Apple released at least some documentation for their hardware it would be really nice, but...
      That's part of why M1N1 exists. It runs mscOS in a hypervisor so they can watch hardware accesses. It's not as good as genuine documentation, but why would apple supply their competitors with the SecretSauce(TM)? I suspect the only reason they're letting this go forward is it will drive more hardware sales that they don't have to provide support for.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

        That's part of why M1N1 exists. It runs mscOS in a hypervisor so they can watch hardware accesses. It's not as good as genuine documentation, but why would apple supply their competitors with the SecretSauce(TM)? I suspect the only reason they're letting this go forward is it will drive more hardware sales that they don't have to provide support for.
        It makes sense. You can build a cheap program and let the people write the expensive and time consuming linux drivers, and you get to sell more hardware without any certification. And dont get the hate nvidia gets.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post

          It makes sense. You can build a cheap program and let the people write the expensive and time consuming linux drivers, and you get to sell more hardware without any certification. And dont get the hate nvidia gets.
          M1N1 isn't from apple. It's something the Asahi people developed themselves to act as a shim between the messy apple boot process and linux.

          Apple hasn't given any help at all to the project. They've only *not* tried to stop them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

            M1N1 isn't from apple. It's something the Asahi people developed themselves to act as a shim between the messy apple boot process and linux.

            Apple hasn't given any help at all to the project. They've only *not* tried to stop them.
            Thank you! Good to know.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post

              ...
              and you get to sell more hardware without any certification. And dont get the hate nvidia gets.
              It seems like Apple makes a lot of money on their AppStore too. This may reduce their income from there.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by er888kh View Post

                It seems like Apple makes a lot of money on their AppStore too. This may reduce their income from there.
                I dont think people that will run Linux on their Macbooks would have ever considered buying anything there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

                  That's part of why M1N1 exists. It runs mscOS in a hypervisor so they can watch hardware accesses. It's not as good as genuine documentation, but why would apple supply their competitors with the SecretSauce(TM)? I suspect the only reason they're letting this go forward is it will drive more hardware sales that they don't have to provide support for.
                  There are two reasons they don't care.
                  1. Most importantly, it's never going to work well. The last several years of Intel Macs don't even play nicely with Linux. Even with patches for T2, SMIC, Touchbar, etc. it's still a shit show.
                  2. About 11 people are interested in throwing down a few grand on a Mac to not get any benefits of macOS and the deep integration with their other hardware and software offerings. Linux working well on their devices is never going to be more than a rounding error in incremental revenue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Typos:

                    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    The patch series for those interested can be found on the the kernel mailing lisst.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X