Siemens Working To Upstream More Linux Drivers For Their Industrial PCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Siemens Working To Upstream More Linux Drivers For Their Industrial PCs

Phoronix: Siemens Working To Upstream More Linux Drivers For Their Industrial PCs

Siemens has recently been engaging directly with the upstream Linux kernel developers in aiming to mainline various drivers for benefiting their industrial PC platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is great news.
    Lets hope that this will encourage even more vendors to upstream opensource drivers and code.

Comment

It's funny that they still call them PLC.

Comment

It's interesting that these run Linux at all, all I've seen and used so far run ancient versions of WindowsCE or XP "Embedded".

Comment

Next step: Moving TIA Portal to Linux!

Comment

Very nice! I recently dabbled in PLC and almost died in the process (the usual day programming in high level languages is night and day) but industrial stuff does strike an excitement nerve in some way.

Afaik some PLCs are actually full fledged computers and just emulate PLC behaviour. From what I tried, those allow much saner Structured Text code which resembles something like basic C much closer and are easier to work with.

I'd be interested in getting corrected on the above statements and educated in this area by someone who does this for a living.
            Last edited by cen1; 16 March 2021, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
              It's interesting that these run Linux at all, all I've seen and used so far run ancient versions of WindowsCE or XP "Embedded".
              We use them at work with Openembedded. Not sure if there are custom patches applied to the kernel.

Comment

Working...
              X