System76 Introduces Thelio Mira Computers - Powered By AMD Ryzen 5000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

I am guessing that their existing and potential customers are currently more interested in the nvidia gpus.
    Potential customers are probably more interested in Windows. Luckily these guys do have an eye on open platforms and as such should go further than chucking in less useful hardware for open-source enthusiasts.

It is like selling a racing car but then putting a bus engine in it. Sure, it may be a powerful engine, but it is completely unsuitable for a racing car.

Comment

That's cool.

What might need dual RTX 8000s (48GB VRAM each!) but only need 128GB of system RAM? I have a box with dual RTX 8000s at work. It has 512GB of system RAM, and frankly it needs more but can't support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

Works on my machine.
        Was kinda working on my OpenSuse laptop until a week ago. And has, in the past, been THE reason I upgraded my distro.

Of course Nvidia laptop drivers disable SLI so I've never been able to use that. And I could never get all three display ports working at the same time. Or even both the external ports. The LVDS and one of the external together can work at the same time. Their Windows driver doesn't hiccup like that. There's a litany of other issues but that's been the most frustrating on this non-Optimus lappie.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
          That's cool.

What might need dual RTX 8000s (48GB VRAM each!) but only need 128GB of system RAM? I have a box with dual RTX 8000s at work. It has 512GB of system RAM, and frankly it needs more but can't support it.
          GPU deep learning?

Comment

The prices are absolute madness! it looks like a meme more than something serious.
            And basically they are huge paperweights due to no Radeon option. Basically, you are locking yourself from trying new kernels or using the terminal, or gpu passtrough... no, thanks.

Ps: 700$ for a 2TB 5000 RPM mechanical drive

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              Not in the market, but the System76 custom case is beautiful. Too bad they don't sell a version of it separately, maybe without the branding and logos. The design is striking, with the clean lines and real wood. It seems like every other case manufacture today is striving for "anime robot", "faux military", or "RGB carnival" theme. I miss the old Lian Li aluminum cases from the 2000's with their clean basic aluminum styling, quality construction, and thoughtful design. Why does literally every case need a tempered glass window now? Tempered glass sucks.
              Yes, they are quite nice, but a bit too wide for me and I would prefer the logo to be at a 90° angle.
              I fully agree with you regarding current cases, they're going full transparency and with carnival lights. Anything but classy.

Because of that, I haven't found a replacement yet to my HTPC case from 2007, the Antec Fusion 430. It looks like another AV receiver and fits so well in my living room TV stand that people are actually wondering me where my computer is.
              Last edited by Mez'; 12 March 2021, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                ... It seems like every other case manufacture today is striving for "anime robot", "faux military", or "RGB carnival" theme. ...
                This one is clearly without all this nonsense:

A very good case, but not with wood. Not cheap, but easy to find. I own the predecessor of it, because I also do like a minimalistic design.

Also this one is nice, but bigger and more expensive:

Last edited by obri; 12 March 2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Clevo seems to be 2 generations behind on the laptop side. With ryzen 5900hs's beating the snot out of everything in a low power envelope, it's kind of disheartening to see the offerings on the open source vendor end.

As far as their desktops/workstations, it's very nice, but it's touching on Mac Pro status- albeit in wood. That's a niche of a niche market.

For me, I wish there was something available on the portables side where we didn't have to piss away 2 years of performance for linux support. The best we got now is the dell xps line, and they will dry hump intel until their corpse is pummeled to mulch. Sorry for the off topic, but it's company pertinent.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                    Clevo seems to be 2 generations behind on the laptop side. With ryzen 5900hs's beating the snot out of everything in a low power envelope, it's kind of disheartening to see the offerings on the open source vendor end.

As far as their desktops/workstations, it's very nice, but it's touching on Mac Pro status- albeit in wood. That's a niche of a niche market.

For me, I wish there was something available on the portables side where we didn't have to piss away 2 years of performance for linux support. The best we got now is the dell xps line, and they will dry hump intel until their corpse is pummeled to mulch. Sorry for the off topic, but it's company pertinent.
                    Not so sure about that.
                    My new Tuxedo laptop is a rebranded Clevo and it has a 4700U, which is definitely not 2 generations behind.

Comment

I believe selling it for ~21000$ is to low,
                      They should try for 30000$ at least... its a bigger number right?

Comment

Working...
                      X