Linux 5.11 Supports The OUYA Game Console, Other New ARM Hardware Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.11 Supports The OUYA Game Console, Other New ARM Hardware Support

Phoronix: Linux 5.11 Supports The OUYA Game Console, Other New ARM Hardware Support

The ARM64 architecture updates were sent in already for Linux 5.11 along with the various ARM SoC additions, DeviceTree additions for new hardware support, and similar changes. There is a lot of new hardware support as always being brought up by the mainline kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, dgp! Nice to see mainline support for breadbee! https://github.com/breadbee/breadbee

Comment

Support is finally mainlined for the NVIDIA Tegra powered OUYA Game Console.
      Hehe. 3 or 4 years ago, that would have mattered to me. However that is how it is with Nvidias open-source support.

Comment

Didn't know the OUYA was Tegra powered, obviously not the X1 chip.

Comment

I've got one under the telly, didn't realise it only has 1GB of RAM - that'll be a pain to do anything useful with

Doesn't Nouveau work great with the Tigra stuff?

Comment

I don't think Nouveau supports the "Mobile GeForce" GPUs used in pre-K1 Tegras.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              Didn't know the OUYA was Tegra powered, obviously not the X1 chip.
              It's got a Tegra 3 released on November 9, 2011. It's pretty darn old. Quad core Cortex-A9 at up to 1.7GHz. Graphics are the very old VLIW4 with an undisclosed # of cores at some unknown clock speed. Video decode handles little better than MPG2 (some MP4 codes that no one cares about). No H.264, etc.

Not sure what these boxes would be good for these days. Maybe simple network services or running a TV in photo frame mode.

I have one sitting in a cabinet which I wouldn't mid finding a new use for.

Sorry, I'm going to go off topic here because how the OUYA died out vs what it promised is just a shame. The idea was to take older (but still decent) SoCs from previous generation phones and tablets and stuff them into a little console box. Find old cheap chips with good Android support stuffed into a generic little box which they could turn out cheaply every year. So, instead of the three to five year major upgrade cycle, they'd have a new box every year that was a marginal upgrade from the previous year, but would be *cheap*. Like <$100 cheap (assuming you kept your controller from the previous model). But they got bogged down in the whole "running a store and working with developers is horribly complex" aspect of the project. I love this model, but it just didn't work out.
              Last edited by willmore; 18 December 2020, 11:43 AM. Reason: Edited to add a rant about OUYA

Comment

Three years later I find this article via Bing AI of all places while asking which Linux distribution to install on the Ouya box I have.

Anyone have luck with Arch or PostmarketOS?

I can't seem to find anyone who's been able to get it done recently.

(Well ideally get Steam to run with Box32 or Box64 and just be used for Steam play from the gaming PC)

Comment

Working...
                X