Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "core/entry" Is Exciting For Linux 5.11 With Two Big Changes

Phoronix: "core/entry" Is Exciting For Linux 5.11 With Two Big Changes

While a "core/entry" pull request may not seem that exciting, this time around for the Linux 5.11 kernel there are two prominent additions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Huge performance boost for already the fastest I/O ever? Good!

Ps. I have adblock turned off for Phoronix, but I'm not seeing any ads. Cookies issue or something?

Comment

Once again, Digital Restriction Management nonsense only resulting in more tedious work for everyone.

Don't use stuff which requires it, if you can't trivially break it... and even then, purchase it used so the publisher gets zlich.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
        Once again, Digital Restriction Management nonsense only resulting in more tedious work for everyone.

Don't use stuff which requires it, if you can't trivially break it... and even then, purchase it used so the publisher gets zlich.
        I hate DRM.

CALL SUBROUTINE RANT (DRM, DVD, BLU-RAY, ANDROID, OUTPUT)
        PRINT* OUTPUT

I have large collection of DVDs. I bought them - yet I cannot "legally" - at least in the US - make a digital back up of them. I live in Germany now and I want to get a Blu-Ray player, but now I will have "region conflict" issues because the DVDs were sold in the US. So now I have to buy a US spec Blu-Ray\DVD player to watch movies that I bought and paid for that I cannot "legally" back up to my computer. This infuriates me. And this whole DRM also has led to much of the "user cannot repair" stuff that has happened - the right to repair movement has some of its basis in DRM. IIRC, that is part of the reason why people do not have root privileges on Android phones (unless you can root it) - DRM and intellectual property rights. What a pain in the backside.
        Last edited by f0rmat; 15 December 2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
        GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
          And this whole DRM also has led to much of the "user cannot repair" stuff that has happened - the right to repair movement has some of its basis in DRM.
          I'm not sure that first part tracks -- if anything, making things harder to repair also makes it harder to rip out hardware from existing machines that proves to make DRM easier to break.

But I fully agree on the latter, and I'm 100% in favor of Right to Repair.

We've had some good news recently, on that front, with the European Parliment's vote (https://www.ifixit.com/News/47111/eu...ight-to-repair) and France's upcoming Repairability Rating starting in January 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post

I'm not sure that first part tracks -- if anything, making things harder to repair also makes it harder to rip out hardware from existing machines that proves to make DRM easier to break.

But I fully agree on the latter, and I'm 100% in favor of Right to Repair.

We've had some good news recently, on that front, with the European Parliment's vote (https://www.ifixit.com/News/47111/eu...ight-to-repair) and France's upcoming Repairability Rating starting in January 2021.
            DRM was part of the argument John Deere used to take away the right to repair. They were concerned that letting people "fix" the computer system would allow it to be hacked and be used to play pirated music. Another big "argument" was safety.

GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post

DRM was part of the argument John Deere used to take away the right to repair. They were concerned that letting people "fix" the computer system would allow it to be hacked and be used to play pirated music.
              I remember that, I'm just saying... it cuts both ways.

Comment

Working...
              X