Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MintBox3 Now Shipping As Fan-Less Small Form Factor Linux Desktop

Phoronix: MintBox3 Now Shipping As Fan-Less Small Form Factor Linux Desktop

Coinciding with the release of Linux Mint 19.3 is the debut of the MintBox3 Linux Mint pre-loaded small form factor desktop computer that is fan-less...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yikes!

What is it with all these Linux specific Intel/NVIDIA computers? Intel processors are overpriced, underpowered, and insecure. And NVIDIA is the Emperor Palpatine of open source.

Sincerely, I just don't get it.

In any case you'd be much better off just getting a solid Zen2 CPU, Radeon GPU, Mini-ITX motherboard, and the case of your choosing. And my goodness, just put a fan in it, it's really not an issue.

You'd not only be supporting open source friendly companies, but you'd save yourself considerable bucks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      Yikes!
      just put a fan in it, it's really not an issue.
      In some (especially industrial) applications, fans are not really a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
        In some (especially industrial) applications, fans are not really a viable option.
        If it's a priority just get a Ryzen 3900X and a fanless case. And still get all the benefits I mentioned above.

Really, I can't envision any legitimate reason for any Linux distribution to support Intel/NVIDIA in this day and age. After all AMD has done for open source, combined with the power and value of their current CPUs and GPUs, I just can't.

Comment

Really, I can't envision any legitimate reason for any Linux distribution to support Intel/NVIDIA in this day and age.
          It is known as the Stockholm syndrome. And the sleazy tactic of "treat them mean, keep them keen".

Just look how terrible Apple is towards their consumers; that is how they have created Apple fanatics XD

Comment

If it's a priority just get a Ryzen 3900X and a fanless case. And still get all the benefits I mentioned above.
            Can you provide a reference to a fanless case for such a 105W chip (remember that the case also has to cool the other MB components, and any GPU)? Last time I looked none were commercially available.

Comment

No Ryzen, no party!

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                Can you provide a reference to a fanless case for such a 105W chip (remember that the case also has to cool the other MB components, and any GPU)? Last time I looked none were commercially available.
                Sure:

Comment

I meant to include a SFF requirement (as the referenced case is), but in any case, that proposal does not provide any cooling headroom for a GPU (the processor is 105W alone, and the top end of that case is 110W).

Got any other guesses?

Comment

Really, I can't envision any legitimate reason for any Linux distribution to support Intel/NVIDIA in this day and age.
                    Well, actually Intel is pretty much open source friendly, they shipped open source video drivers before AMD did so I don't understand what you are talking about, intel having higher cpu prices would be a valid point... And I do understand why companies choose Nvidia over AMD GPU's, and that is because nvidia ones are less power hungry which makes them generate less heat than competing AMD GPU's. When AMD reaches the same power efficiency as Nvidia that will be the point when Nvidia will have to reconsider more seriously the competition.

Comment

Working...
                    X