Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 4 BCM43455 NVRAM Addition Hits Linux-Firmware Git

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Raspberry Pi 4 BCM43455 NVRAM Addition Hits Linux-Firmware Git

    Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 BCM43455 NVRAM Addition Hits Linux-Firmware Git

    The Raspberry Pi 4 continues seeing better mainline kernel/software support as we approach 2020...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...4-NVRAM-FW-Git

  • #2
    I don't know why they call it BCM43455.. its Cypress technology not from Broadcom..

    This chip seems to even include FM Radio receiver, I hope that the mainline driver adds support for it, because its a must have!

    • FM unit supports HCI for communication.
    • FM receiver: 65 MHz to 108 MHz FM bands; supports the European radio data systems (RDS) and the North American radio broadcast data system (RBDS) standards.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
      I don't know why they call it BCM43455.. its Cypress technology not from Broadcom..
      The original chip development was done by Broadcom, who named/numbered the chip when they released it. Broadcom later sold their Wireless IoT division to Cypress, but it is still a Broadcom design/chip in Cypress clothing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
        but it is still a Broadcom design/chip in Cypress clothing.
        I was referring to the name continuing to be a Broadcom reference, and not Cypress, eve tough that Cypress owns the IP of it..

        But the most interesting part of it for me, is the FM Radio receiver,
        I don't know if its there support in Mainline for it.. ?
        Even so, the rpi4 needed a antenna too, and maybe its not there.. that would be a shame

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          Even so, the rpi4 needed a antenna too, and maybe its not there.. that would be a shame
          Could possibly still be used for local wireless input via one of those low-power no-transmit-license-needed FM transmitters meant for adding your media device to a car stereo without an AUX jack.

          Inverse square law and so on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            I was referring to the name continuing to be a Broadcom reference, and not Cypress, eve tough that Cypress owns the IP of it..
            You don't rename products already out.

            Did Broadcom rename all SAS controllers they got when they bought LSI? No they did not.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You don't rename products already out.
              Did Broadcom rename all SAS controllers they got when they bought LSI? No they did not.
              Well, I agree
              In each case the name PR stuff is good.. Broadcom wouldn't touch LSI, because they made a good trademark of it.. it seems the same way for Cypress..

              But there are tons of cases were they rename the products.. one example?
              Look at intel with their PowerVR graphics cards, they renamed them.. and its not even intel IP..

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                But there are tons of cases were they rename the products.. one example?
                Look at intel with their PowerVR graphics cards, they renamed them.. and its not even intel IP..
                That's not a "product already out".

                PowerVR licenses GPU block designs to customers that integrate them in their own SoCs. There is no such thing as "PowerVR graphics card".

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                  This chip seems to even include FM Radio receiver, I hope that the mainline driver adds support for it, because its a must have!
                  Why are you so obsessed with FM radios? Just buy a standalone unit and be fucking done with it. Nobody in their sane mind needs a radio in their computing devices in 2019.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by intelfx View Post
                    Why are you so obsessed with FM radios? Just buy a standalone unit and be fucking done with it. Nobody in their sane mind needs a radio in their computing devices in 2019.
                    I think you need to go back to school,
                    Learn logic math, also the importance of simplicity and Working-Out-of-The-Box, concept..

                    Also I am paying FM radio in the Water ( paying for Television too ) bills,
                    So I want it...and don't wan't wifi, or any lte crap radio..
                    I don't even consider them as an option due to the amount of disadvantages they have..

                    I like simplicity.. its like the wine, you need to be educated to learn the term "Good Taste..".
                    I live in Europe, but I don't know if that nowadays is synonym of something as it was in the past..

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X