Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bug Fixed: Bad Things Could Happen Unplugging Your External Backlit Keyboard On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

As a person who used to be bothered a lot by the cold and were always freezing, what helped me was to stop hating the cold and embrace it. Can't run from it, can't fight it. I started doing cold showers and cold baths. This results in the body adapting to the climate through gene expression by producing cold chock proteins.

It isn't as cold as probably it is in your city, but it does affect my hand, and since I play the piano and games which demand speed (Xonotic and StepMania), it isn't good for me.

Comment

"a UPower function would get infinitely called and thus begin up using 100% CPU usage. Additionally, if running on the GNOME desktop, D-Bus events would get endlessly created"

Sounds a lot like behavior systemd is known for ...

Comment

I have a keyboard which it backlit. Fortunately it is possible to turn it off.
        So I have turned the lights off.

Backlit keyboards are for people who don't know where each key is and can't find the keys in the dark.
        It's not like the keys have moved and is in a different location than they were yesterday. The keys are at the exact same location as they always are, so you don't need to look at the keyboard to type.
        Yeah, well, I hate to break it to you but if you don't know where the keys are with your desk lamp on, you don't know where they are in the dark either, even with a backlit keyboard. Backlit keyboards are for aesthetics, not functionality. Those little ridges under your index fingers when they rest on "home" ("f" and "j" on US QWERTY keyboards) are there so you don't need any other indicators where the keys are. Most keyboards have them and I remember them even on some typewriters so many years ago.

Comment

Backlit keyboards are for people who don't know where each key is and can't find the keys in the dark.
          Backlit keyboards (and their matching mice and pulsating GPUs and liquid cooling systems and telltales on every electronic piece of equipment) are purely for those of use who want to LIGHT UP ALL THE THINGS. Mp-tss mp-tss mp-tsss yes yes yes. MOAR LEDS PLEZE!

Comment

No they are for people that like glowing keyboards.

Or you want to tell me that RGB lighting in gaming hardware serves ANY practical purpose at all?

The keys are at the exact same location as they always are, so you don't need to look at the keyboard to type.
            This is something that comes with experience and good hand-eye coordination.

Also different keyboards have different sizes and the buttons will be in different locations (offset to the right or left or up or down) if compared.

Which is why 99.999999% of the keyboards have the letters printed on them, you know.

Comment

As a person who used to be bothered a lot by the cold and were always freezing, what helped me was to stop hating the cold and embrace it. Can't run from it, can't fight it. I started doing cold showers and cold baths. This results in the body adapting to the climate through gene expression by producing cold chock proteins.
              That's just a habit.

Cold shock proteins and even gene expression are completely unrelated.

You aren't a fucking bacterium, you are a warm-blooded mammal with functional active thermo-regulation systems.
              If you are in a colder environment your body just ramps up heat generation in the brown adipose tissue and muscles. Internal temperature stays the same 37 degrees celsius no matter what.

Of course this has limits, but if you didn't die of hypothermia yet, then you are still within a temperature that is comfortable for humans.

Comment

aand unapproved post for uid313 above. I guess vBullettin does not like the word "bacterium" or something.

Comment

I always prefered the ThinkLight approach myself, less fashionable but works better IMO (if you're actually concerned about low-light visibility) https://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkLight

Comment

I don't know. I am using computers for what, 25 years now? I can type blindfolded and all that, and I can find the home row on the keyboard. And I always worked without a backlight. But recently (~6 months ago) I bought a Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro L- bought it for layout & the feel of the mechanical switches. And I find myself enjoying working with backlight on in the dark or twilight. I know I can find things blindfolded, but having visual input on where things are in addition to tactile input helps, just makes it a bit easier and less effort and more pleasant. So don't judge us backlight users too quickly. Try it yourself- you might unexpectedly like it. I thought it was a gimmick as well before I tried it, and now I actually like it.

It's not like the keys have moved and is in a different location than they were yesterday. The keys are at the exact same location as they always are, so you don't need to look at the keyboard to type.

Comment

Working...
                    X