Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Lands Xbox One S Controller Rumbling, Logitech High Resolution, Apple Trackpad 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Lands Xbox One S Controller Rumbling, Logitech High Resolution, Apple Trackpad 2

Phoronix: Linux Lands Xbox One S Controller Rumbling, Logitech High Resolution, Apple Trackpad 2

The HID driver updates have a few nice improvements for the recently opened Linux 4.20~5.0 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This applies to bluetooth connection too?

Comment

The Xbone Controller is the most problematic controller in terms of game support, of the five different ones I have. It is worse even than the Dual Shock 4. But that is mostly on indie and/or older games.

It also have a flawed D-Pad design, prone to malfunctions. Too bad because is have one of the nicest ergonomics of the modern controllers.

Unfortunately, the most problem free controller, the wired XB360, is apparently not manufactured anymore and most you can find are faked Chinese ones.

Comment

Appreciate that Logitech update. I'll look for the difference once this comes to Tumbleweed!

Comment

Xbox Controller???

LOL, who would actually be lame enough to game with that POS?

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
            Xbox Controller???

Yeah... A lot of people, myself included, so before you go insulting people and calling them lame, you should shut up.

Comment

More ImageMagick:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
                Xbox Controller???

As a bearded GNU Freak, should not not now be nicer in your communications? :P

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  The Xbone Controller is the most problematic controller in terms of game support, of the five different ones I have. It is worse even than the Dual Shock 4. But that is mostly on indie and/or older games.

It also have a flawed D-Pad design, prone to malfunctions. Too bad because is have one of the nicest ergonomics of the modern controllers.

Unfortunately, the most problem free controller, the wired XB360, is apparently not manufactured anymore and most you can find are faked Chinese ones.
                  It is more like a flawed ecosystem altogether, lack of a standard. SDL tries to solve this, but not everything uses SDL. And those that don't, have to support every controller separately. Then comes the usual issue of being unable to support future hardware.

This is solved by Directx and Directinput/Xinput in Windows. Games made 15 years ago have no issue supporting the latest xbone controller, as they have no idea, all they see is a directinput or xinput interface. On the other hand, in Linux, games tend to statically link ancient SDL versions, distros tend to ship ancient SDL versions, Steam itself ships ancient SDL versions, and supporting future hardware through evdev is pretty much impossible, as it doesn't provide a standard interface.

Comment

I wonder if it will be any better than xpadneo driver (bluetooth+rumble+battery) - https://atar-axis.github.io/xpadneo/
                    It plays well for all proton and steam native games I have for now

Comment

Working...
                    X