Logitech G700/G900 Wireless Mice Get Picked Up By The Linux HID++ Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logitech G700/G900 Wireless Mice Get Picked Up By The Linux HID++ Driver

Phoronix: Logitech G700/G900 Wireless Mice Get Picked Up By The Linux HID++ Driver

The latest improvements published by Red Hat's Benjamin Tissoires for bettering the Linux input stack is expanded Logitech support within its HID++ (logitech-hidpp) driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, input devices have been one of the weakest parts of the Linux kernel. It does seem to be speeding up a little bit but is still months after release. I'm thinking of picking up a G305 or G Pro Wireless and it doesn't look like either of them are fully supported (and the DPI toggles and performance/battery mode toggles are in software so having support would be very helpful).

Comment

Sorry for asking, but what's the difference compared to without the driver? I've been using my g900 for like year now in wireless mode.

Comment

Originally posted by grenadecx View Post
        Sorry for asking, but what's the difference compared to without the driver? I've been using my g900 for like year now in wireless mode.
        how does kernel name your mouse? and what module handles it ?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          how does kernel name your mouse? and what module handles it ?
          How do I find that out?

Comment

How do I find that out?
            device name probably with lsusb, list of modules with lsmod. also you could check dmesg or journalctl -f during receiver insertion.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              device name probably with lsusb, list of modules with lsmod. also you could check dmesg or journalctl -f during receiver insertion.
              Journalctl -f
              Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

lsmod
              Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

lsusb

Also, when I think way back, my G700 mouse I also had was working perfectly fine in wireless. I'm just curious what the difference is...

Comment

Without tools as such, your mouse is simple standard USB mouse the exports all the standard features that any other USB HID device can export :
                Buttons, Axis. (with the wheels of the mouse showing up as additional axis and/or button)
                That's it.
                But that's also enough for 99% of use cases.

With tools as such, you can access all the additional bell and whistles which aren't standardized yet in USB HID protocol.
                (Switch on coloured LED lights, switch the mouse sensitivity between different DPI settings, map hardware macros to buttons, change the wireless binding to devices, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                  Without tools as such, your mouse is simple standard USB mouse the exports all the standard features that any other USB HID device can export :
                  Buttons, Axis. (with the wheels of the mouse showing up as additional axis and/or button)
                  That's it.
                  But that's also enough for 99% of use cases.

With tools as such, you can access all the additional bell and whistles which aren't standardized yet in USB HID protocol.
                  (Switch on coloured LED lights, switch the mouse sensitivity between different DPI settings, map hardware macros to buttons, change the wireless binding to devices, etc.)
                  Ah, I see, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Also, when I think way back, my G700 mouse I also had was working perfectly fine in wireless. I'm just curious what the difference is...
                    as you can see, your mouse is called 'logitech inc' or 'logitech receiver'. i guess it will be called better and maybe even handled by non-generic module

Comment

Working...
                    X