SilverStone TP02-M2: An Aluminum Heatsink For Cooling An M.2 SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Why? When you remove the screen protection your smartphone has on when you get it, in doesn't void your warranty.
    If you look at the sticker on that drive, it contain the serial number of the drive. I don't see that on a screen protector of a phone...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I imagine these heatsinks really only make sense to those who overclock their SSDs or have no airflow going to the SSD. For most people, a product like this is way overkill, and may inhibit your expansion options.
      I remember seeing some high performance M.2 SSDs throttling on benchmarks on other websites. Extreme case, of course, but can affect some people moving around large files.

Also, some of these cards will be under a very hot VGA (or two), even with hot air being blown over it, in the case of some cards heatsinks.

It is possible to overclock SSDs? Didn't know that.
      Last edited by M@GOid; 13 March 2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

If you look at the sticker on that drive, it contain the serial number of the drive. I don't see that on a screen protector of a phone...
        On the box of my Ryzen 7 CPU, there is a sticker with the serial number of the CPU, does that mean that unboxing the CPU voids the warranty?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I remember seeing some high performance M.2 SSDs throttling on benchmarks on other websites. Extreme case, of course, but can affect some people moving around large files.
          I don't consider synthetic benchmarks a good way to determine whether or not an SSD needs a heatsink. Even when people are transferring large files, they're not doing this for extended periods of time. As you can see from the benchmarks, the idle temps without a heatsink are pretty good.
          Also, some of these cards will be under a very hot VGA (or two), even with hot air being blown over it, in the case of some cards heatsinks.
          True, but warm flowing air is better than stagnant hot air. Case in point: Let's say it's 35C outside and you've got a fan pointed on you. You're still blowing uncomfortably hot air on yourself, but it's cooler than your body temperature, so it is still dissipating heat.
          It is possible to overclock SSDs? Didn't know that.
          Some SSDs, anyway. Specifically, you can overclock the controllers. I don't know much about how it's done, but I think it involves flashing the firmware, since I think SATA drives can be OC'd too. I don't recommend it...

Comment

Working...
          X