EXT4 vs. XFS vs. Btrfs vs. F2FS With Linux 4.15 Comparing KPTI/Retpoline

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT4 vs. XFS vs. Btrfs vs. F2FS With Linux 4.15 Comparing KPTI/Retpoline

Phoronix: EXT4 vs. XFS vs. Btrfs vs. F2FS With Linux 4.15 Comparing KPTI/Retpoline

The latest in our benchmarking with KPTI and Retpoline for Meltdown and Spectre mitigation is comparing the performance of the EXT4, XFS, Btrfs and F2FS file-systems with and without these features enabled while using the Linux 4.15 development kernel.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=25897

XFS looks great sometimes but ext4 is the best always in the top 2, for desktop users

Comment

Btrfs seems better in many areas compared to previous benchmarks, or am I just imagining things?

Comment

It's interesting that while F2FS was not the top in most categories it seems to have the lowest performance penalty. I would like to see this repeated with an NVME device.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfpackN64 View Post
          Btrfs seems better in many areas compared to previous benchmarks, or am I just imagining things?
          imagining, btrfs performance never was good

Comment

And here we see why ext4 is the all-around sane choice for the typical desktop user.

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
              And here we see why ext4 is the all-around sane choice for the typical desktop user.
              I don't know. I like having automated weekly snapshots, isolated subvolumes, compression, and deduplication support on my drives. If you're all about performance or doing database work, I totally agree with you. Otherwise features matter.

Comment

Working...
              X