Mir 0.0.5 Released; Kubuntu Will Stick To X/Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
    I'd doubt that even if there were a reason, you would be at all inclined to listen to it.
    Ah, nice dodge. So what you're saying is, there is no technical reason for Mir to exist. Good.

That's because you're a fanboy through and through, you don't care about projects that you don't like.
    A fanboy of what, pray tell? The definition of "fanboy" is someone who irrationally follows something and willingly ignores it's flaws, blinding themself to facts that contradict their viewpoint to do so. I do none of that. I've been presenting countless actual arguments why Mir is a bad idea, ranging from technical reasons to reasons having to do with the overall benefit of the desktop Linux ecosystem. None of the Mir fanboys have presented any real arguments, apart from strawmen and ad-hominem attacks (kind of like you're doing now).

And considering the lack of spelling, grammar and capitalisation, I'd add angsty teenager to the mix too.
    Oh, I get it. Mir is needed because of my grammar. Gotcha. That makes sense...

For your information, english is not my first language, so I may not know all the grammar rules exactly. I do use capitalization and spell words correctly, unless it's by mistake/typo. And in fact I haven't been a teenager in over 10 years. Whether I'm "angsty" is debatable and a matter of perspective, but even if I am, it still doesn't make Mir a good idea. All you have to offer are ad-hominems and strawman arguments. The true sign of a fanboy/girl.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
      It's a real shame Kubuntu team are so political. I use Kubuntu and I'm really cross that they wont support the future with a display manager that will allow the deployment of devices wide of field.

I actually had my account banned from Kubuntu site and I'm not sure why other than I support Mir.
      Ah, an example of a true irrational fanboy/girl. Here is a great example of what I was talking about on the last page. You're blaming the Kubuntu devs for being "political" because they don't use Mir, when the Kubuntu devs have given perfectly valid technical reasons why it's not feasible to do so. You willingly ignore facts because they don't suit your agenda.

In fact, you are the one being political. You want Kubuntu to use XMir, despite there not being a single good reason for them to do so, and many disadvantages. If they run KDE over XMir, it will simply add another, unnecessary layer between the X server and the hardware. Using Mir via XMir under the actual desktop would not allow KDE to support Mir software, it would provide no benefit whatsoever, instead only taking up resources and making the graphics stack more complex. Tell me a good reason, that is not a "political" reason, why Kubuntu should use Mir?

Kubuntu will support the future with a display server that "will allow the deployment of devices wide of field" - like every sane distro, they will use Wayland, which is the way of the future. Wayland, which will be the ultimate graphics technology, running on all types of devices ranging from phones to tablets to desktop computers. Wayland is suitable for all those different types of devices because it doesn't dictate an implementation - it only defines a protocol, leaving it up to the compositor to implement it. That's what makes it smart - it's like an open standard that benefits everyone. Mir is a single implementation, that only works for Unity. Nothing else. No one else will get any benefit from using Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
        In fact, you are the one being political. You want Kubuntu to use XMir, despite there not being a single good reason for them to do so, and many disadvantages. If they run KDE over XMir, it will simply add another, unnecessary layer between the X server and the hardware. Using Mir via XMir under the actual desktop would not allow KDE to support Mir software, it would provide no benefit whatsoever, instead only taking up resources and making the graphics stack more complex. Tell me a good reason, that is not a "political" reason, why Kubuntu should use Mir?.
        XMir is a transitional layer. It will be replaced or sit as a sideline for legacy, so expect Mir to be a direct layer that video cards will talk to for screen allocation and manipulation.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Be cool and collected, and enumerate Wayland advantages over X.org, and then provide TECHNICAL reasons why such advantages WONT apply to Mir.
          Wayland is a protocol that does not dictate an implementation. Every distro other than Ubuntu is going to use Wayland. Every other desktop environment has plans to move to Wayland. Wayland will be used on many mobile and embedded Linux systems. It is something that has the chance to bring the entire Linux ecosystem together under one graphics standard. Wayland offers an already stable API for developing compositors that work within the Wayland standard. Every major toolkit will support Wayland.

By contrast, Mir is a fixed implementation - there is no "Mir standard", you can't develop your own Mir server because Canonical can just break the API. Mir is designed only for the needs of Unity, it does not take in account the needs of any other desktop or distribution. It will not benefit anyone other than Canonical. None of the major desktop environments or toolkits have plans to implement Mir support.

Wayland allows perfect frames, client-side rendering and client buffer allocation. Mir does not.

Comment

XMir is a transitional layer. It will be replaced or sit as a sideline for legacy, so expect Mir to be a direct layer that video cards will talk to for screen allocation and manipulation.
            Yes, and since KDE has no plans to support Mir natively, if Kubuntu were to use Mir, they'd be SOL when that happens.

So, again: why should Kubuntu use Mir?

Comment

Yes, and since KDE has no plans to support Mir natively, if Kubuntu were to use Mir, they'd be SOL when that happens.

So, again: why should Kubuntu use Mir?
              Wake up to yourself. I want to use Kubuntu on mobile devices as well as tablets and desktop.

Forget about Plasma Active as it's got buckleys of making it to more devices than the fingers on one hand and then you'd be lucky if it will be accelerated and support the hardware. Mir is the opportunity to run everywhere.

Comment

Wake up to yourself. I want to use Kubuntu on mobile devices as well as tablets and desktop.

Forget about Plasma Active as it's got buckleys of making it to more devices than the fingers on one hand and then you'd be lucky if it will be accelerated and support the hardware. Mir is the opportunity to run everywhere.
                The same is possible with Wayland, regardless if you just ignore that option. Wayland phones are already announced and will come this year. Wayland can do the exact same things that Mir can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  The same is possible with Wayland, regardless if you just ignore that option. Wayland phones are already announced and will come this year. Wayland can do the exact same things that Mir can do.
                  When I looked at the claims by Wayland it was only indirectly supporting Android video drivers, no other drivers, and was doing it differently than Mir

Comment

Ah, nice dodge. So what you're saying is, there is no technical reason for Mir to exist. Good.

A fanboy of what, pray tell? The definition of "fanboy" is someone who irrationally follows something and willingly ignores it's flaws, blinding themself to facts that contradict their viewpoint to do so. I do none of that. I've been presenting countless actual arguments why Mir is a bad idea, ranging from technical reasons to reasons having to do with the overall benefit of the desktop Linux ecosystem. None of the Mir fanboys have presented any real arguments, apart from strawmen and ad-hominem attacks (kind of like you're doing now).

Oh, I get it. Mir is needed because of my grammar. Gotcha. That makes sense...

For your information, english is not my first language, so I may not know all the grammar rules exactly. I do use capitalization and spell words correctly, unless it's by mistake/typo. And in fact I haven't been a teenager in over 10 years. Whether I'm "angsty" is debatable and a matter of perspective, but even if I am, it still doesn't make Mir a good idea. All you have to offer are ad-hominems and strawman arguments. The true sign of a fanboy/girl.
                    I never stated that I was here to prove that Mir is the 'best' solution or who should be winner, you just assumed that since I made a comment on your conduct here.
                    My post was nothing to do about Mir, but more to do with your fanboyistic behaviour, most notably the fact that whenever there is any discussion about Mir, any, you're there spreading negativity about the project.
                    It's enough that you don't like it, I can understand that, but every thread about Mir and you're there, saying the same things with nothing new to bring to the table except poor spelling.
                    Showing a strong bias against competitors of projects you like is another sign of a fanboy. Not only are you detracting from the debate, you are also casting a poor light on other, more moderate, Wayland supporters.
                    So please, grow up a little, for the sake of your public perception at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      My understanding is that the only offerings will be separate compositors for mobile and desktop systems.
                      No one else is really trying for a seamless convergence platform except for Ubuntu and the Plasma Active team, though with the latter the majority of the work seems to be X11 specific.

Comment

Working...
                      X