No announcement yet.

Postal III On Linux Is Kaput For Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Carmack. Stuff gets done. I hope he will still kick those bureaucrats and windows faqs asses and push Rage to linux, and maybe even doom3 engine.
    But what would be Linux FPS gaming without Carmack today? He is the one who makes things happen. Not Valve, Not EpicMegagames, Not this *unpayed* guy.

I wonder how would Carmack behave in his pants? Leave the company with all key developers and found his own one continuing to push his line, like what they done with Softdisk?

UT3 sold like sht on Windows because they refused to port it to Linux. Its nice watching them porting good stuff to useless BSh!te OS.

Make world crappier place, one K lines a day and get payed for it, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      UT3 sold like sht on Windows because they refused to port it to Linux.
      That's an interesting theory. There would at least be one million Linux users willing to buy UT for it. That would be +1 million sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
        you are a very very ill person. Everyone loves those games, it's like saying "I don't like nougat", that's just wrong. Everyone loves it and who don't loves it must be considered ill.
        I'm a simulation fan. Racing games with bumper-car physics are not my cup of tea.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post

+

=
          Not good enough for deanjo
          A straight fps is a good time waster. But a driving element in a fps always seems to cheapen a fps feel and always feels tacked on.

Comment

That's an interesting theory. There would at least be one million Linux users willing to buy UT for it. That would be +1 million sales.
            Don't forget word of mouth. If all the Linux users who would've bought UT3 also told their friends to get it the number of copies sold would've snowballed. More users = more mods = better game = more users etc. UT3 never reached that critical mass, and cutting out a loyal fan base is one way to ensure that never happens (so is forcing GameSpy).

Comment

Not quite the truth...

This article is not quite the truth... I will let Vince himself do the talking for me.

Thanks for writing.

Yes, I said that recently, because its true, the Source engine doesn?t support it

But we want to do it, so it?s a question of finding a way

V
              I suspected they would have problems with Source, but these are dedicated people and they actually care about their users. So we will get it eventually, after all, it is not like we got Postal 2 on launch day either.

Another interesting quote:
              Ryan [Gordon] is the best, period. He?s been a big supporter and dear friend. The world would be a lot better if more people acted in good faith like him.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                A straight fps is a good time waster. But a driving element in a fps always seems to cheapen a fps feel and always feels tacked on.
                It's not as if Carmageddon was such a good driving simulator :P

Rage is exaclty what happens when you put the source code from Carmageddon II and Quake 2 together. A better explenation is impossible.

And I too am a racing sim fan, which inculdes:
                -Gran Turismo all the way from the first to the PS3;
                -Colin McRae up to Dirt 3;
                -Grid.

I also enjoy games like F-Zero and Wipeout (original and the PSP and the PS3 versions)

Comment

Sorry to plug my site again but one of my forum regulars Hamish actually contacted RWS about Postal 3 and got a direct response:

Scroll down for the first post and second post on page 2.

Comment

... we used to have "OMG 3D desktop!", then "WTF virtualisation!", then "WOW KDE4", then "AMMAGAWD Gallium!"....
                    Well, I can understand that "innocent Windows user" might be charmed by Compiz and KDE4, but not Gallium. What is it worth for user that hadn't ever been dealing with "OSS GPU drivers" vs. "vendor-supplied binary blobs" on his or her platform? Standard experience with GPU drivers for typical Windows user is "install right after installing the OS and forget about the driver until some app comes out that require freshen one and/or new GPU". Gallium vs. DRI1 DDX vs. binary-blobs is a struggle and a curse of a Linux desktop. There's nothing like "AMMAGAWD" in Gallium.

2All
                    General thought: what if EPIC would hire icculus to port UT-3 to the Linux/Mac OS X and then sell this ported engine as a part of HiB? I.e., people still would have to buy UT-3 on Steam or at their favorite retail store, but would be able to play UT-3 on Mac and Linux using game client bought from HiB. Sure, that bundle shouldn't contain only linux/Mac versions of UT-3 client, it should also contain something to be interesting for Windows users (thus to make revenue bigger), and it would be possible for people to split their payment between "UT-3 linux/mac client" and "rest of games". It'd be extremely interesting to conduct such HiB and took a look into the resulting sales numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post

2All
                      General thought: what if EPIC would hire icculus to port UT-3 to the Linux/Mac OS X and then sell this ported engine as a part of HiB? I.e., people still would have to buy UT-3 on Steam or at their favorite retail store, but would be able to play UT-3 on Mac and Linux using game client bought from HiB. Sure, that bundle shouldn't contain only linux/Mac versions of UT-3 client, it should also contain something to be interesting for Windows users (thus to make revenue bigger), and it would be possible for people to split their payment between "UT-3 linux/mac client" and "rest of games". It'd be extremely interesting to conduct such HiB and took a look into the resulting sales numbers.
                      The UT3 engine is already ported to Mac. It appeared in the Sept UDK release.

Comment

Working...
                      X