AMD Catalyst 9.8 Delivers New Kernel Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
    In short, your PSU is way overpowered. You are wasting a lot of electricity and money.
    On what? The PSU doesn't burn juice for nothing. Only for what's needed. It can *provide* up to 1000W, it doesn't *consume* 1000W by itself.

Comment

• no, it does waste electricity because it is so underloaded that it runs less effective

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        You can get decent results of your system's PSU requirements here:

Power Supply Calculator - Select computer parts and our online PSU calculator will calculate the required power supply wattage and amperage for your PC.

Of course it might be a few watts off, but it still gives a good idea about general wattage requirements.
        Kaboom baby: 574 Watts. The best PSU's have 80% efficency so 650 * 0.8 = 520 Watts. 520 - 574 = -54 Watts. Ah that means that a 650 Watt with a 85% CPU TDP use and 100% load (I can easily get that) is NOT enough.

n what? The PSU doesn't burn juice for nothing. Only for what's needed. It can *provide* up to 1000W, it doesn't *consume* 1000W by itself.
        ^That. Anybody saying otherwise needs to go back to school.
        Last edited by V!NCENT; 24 August 2009, 11:16 AM.

Comment

• you are still doing it wrong! The watt on the package are about the OUTPUT not the INPUT!

650W PSU = 650W on the package and on the system side, but it sucks 812W from the wall socket.

In your case a 650W PSU would be way more than enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            ^That. Anybody saying otherwise needs to go back to school.
            look up efficency. Best, go to anandtech and read their huge article about the shortcomings of overblown psu's.

Comment

• Also, one thing you get wrong is that PSUs have the best rated efficiency at certain loads. For example, most high end PSUs have 90% efficiency when the load is higher than 80%. If the load on the PSU is lower (way lower in Vincent's case) the conversion efficiency is even lower.

Read some basic electronics and figure out what happens inside a power source.

Comment

• Originally posted by CNCFarraday View Post
                Also, one thing you get wrong is that PSUs have the best rated efficiency at certain loads. For example, most high end PSUs have 90% efficiency when the load is higher than 80%. If the load on the PSU is lower (way lower in Vincent's case) the conversion efficiency is even lower.

Read some basic electronics and figure out what happens inside a power source.
                exactly - Vincent's psu should be below 20% load most of the time - and that means, less than 80% efficiency. Sometimes down to 50-60%... wasting lots and lots of power...

Comment

• this story reminds me of american cars with V8 5.4L engines... at 100bhp...

Just cause the number is bigger doesnt mean its better. But some people never get it. YEAH 5GHZ!!!

Comment

• so what? if you have a good case heat isn't a problem anyway. If the PSU is a quality part it is silent at 50 or 60% load too. So it does not matter that the PSU is 'cooler'. What matters is that he is wasting away money.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      no, it does waste electricity because it is so underloaded that it runs less effective
                      Yeah, so? That's completely besides the point. The point is max 80% efficiency at highest load.

you are still doing it wrong! The watt on the package are about the OUTPUT not the INPUT!
                      I don't give a rats ass about how much it draws. I only care about how much my PC needs.

650W PSU = 650W on the package and on the system side, but it sucks 812W from the wall socket.

In your case a 650W PSU would be way more than enough.
                      Are you that retarded or am I that insightful? It's on the package how much it draws. There is a warning sticker on my 1000W PSU "warning! Socket on the wall needs to be able to deliver x or else y". You're full of shit. Unless you think that the company that actually makes PSU's knows less about their own PSU's than you do rofl.
                      Last edited by V!NCENT; 25 August 2009, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X