Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Git Tool Has Been Ported To Vala

Phoronix: GNOME's Git Tool Has Been Ported To Vala

GitG v0.3.1 has been announced as their first release under the code's major rewrite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why?

Comment

Because it's easier to write a UI in Vala than in C. It really makes a difference, especially in projects with a small developer base.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Because it's easier to write a UI in Vala than in C. It really makes a difference, especially in projects with a small developer base.
        Yes but they alrealy had the UI, they didn't start a new project
        I don't know, I think rewriting the codebase from C to Vala would be more difficult than just working with gtk+ in C

Another question: why not some other language? Some gnome projects already use javascript, C# (I think) and Python. Why vala over them?
        Last edited by Annabel; 06 January 2014, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
          Yes but they alrealy had the UI, they didn't start a new project
          I don't know, I think rewriting the codebase from C to Vala would be more difficult than just working with gtk+ in C
          You'd be surprised

For low-level code, the difference is not so significant, but for a UI it's huge. Given that they were planning to rewrite the core, anyway, to use libgit2 instead of system("git blah") commands, someone did the crazy step of rewriting the whole thing in a simpler language.

Now that this is done, I expect GitG development to speed up considerably.

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
            Another question: why not some other language? Some gnome projects already use javascript, C# (I think) and Python. Why vala over them?
            My guess is that it is because it gives best performance, lowest memory usage, fewest runtime dependencies compared to the others, while still being a nice (enough) high level language for UI coding.

I have the impression that those who would have picked javascript, C# or python would have done that because that is what they are familiar with.

I would have picked vala too for this job.

Comment

For low-level code, the difference is not so significant, but for a UI it's huge.
              I would even say for low-level code, especially if we are talking about libraries.

You get to work with a nice high-level language, yet your result is ultimately a library with a C API.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                I would even say for low-level code, especially if we are talking about libraries.

You get to work with a nice high-level language, yet your result is ultimately a library with a C API.

Cheers,
                _
                Can you actually create a library in Vala and consume it from C without jumping through too many hoops? Like, can you create a C header to describe a Vala interface in some sort of automated fashion?

If so, then that's massively impressive.

Comment

Can you actually create a library in Vala and consume it from C without jumping through too many hoops? Like, can you create a C header to describe a Vala interface in some sort of automated fashion?
                  Yes
                  If you create a library in Vala, the build process will generate both a Vala API description as well as a "public" C header (public as in "will be installed on make install").

If so, then that's massively impressive.
                  Indeed! If I had vote for a single feature for "the best feature", that would be it.

Once you understand how the name mapping works (how Vala namespace/class/function names are translated into C symbol names) you could use Vala to write drop-in replacements for bascially any GObject library.

Cheers,
                  _

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
                    Yes
                    If you create a library in Vala, the build process will generate both a Vala API description as well as a "public" C header (public as in "will be installed on make install").

Indeed! If I had vote for a single feature for "the best feature", that would be it.

Once you understand how the name mapping works (how Vala namespace/class/function names are translated into C symbol names) you could use Vala to write drop-in replacements for bascially any GObject library.

Cheers,
                    _
                    I'm intrigued.

GObject is a tad too heavy for my current C projects (massively parallel, real-time embedded stuff), but I'll definitely have to take a closer look to Vala now. A tool that generates a proper C API from higher level code sounds mighty attractive.

Indeed, roughly one-third of the code in these projects is boilerplate code: API headers, parameter contracts, argument validation, variable initialization, logging, namespace_object_create(), namespace_object_destroy() etc etc. Maintaining all these by hand is awkward, but you have to be extremely defensive or you won't get far in such a complex project without an operating system to protect you.

Other than memory overhead, Vala appears to hit all the right spots so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X