Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great point

Originally posted by blinxwang View Post
    I hope they add VDPAU video acceleration soon. It's mind-boggling how VDPAU support is already available for the free drivers but Catalyst is still stuck with xvba...
    That would be a huge help. Good suggestion.

Comment

VSync in video playback?

Does anyone know if this update fixes the tearing issues in video playback that have affected previous versions?

Comment

Does iit work with Gnome 3's and Cinnamon's Mutter/Muffin DMs?

Gnome 3 and Cinnamon AMD bug is still alive?

AMD is not very worried about Linux if they have this bug for years and they are not working in solving it

NVIDIA SLI have it too

And gnome foundation only have 500k USD a year that is not the salary of less than 10 USA engineers

Comment

FULL OPENGL 4.4 support.

Non GLSL uniform default values (GLSL 1.20 specification)

It's not sound hard to implement... just when you don't initialize a uniform it should get 0 as value.

Comment

Just a short feedback:

Runs quiet ok on 12.04.4 and R9 270. There were serious performance issues with 14.3 when I tried to watch flash-videos in HD and fullscreen - those are gone now. Overall performance has slightly decreased though (only tested unigine valley so far) and there are still framedrops.

Comment

For me on HD5650m performance is bad. Worst than Catalyst 13.12. In dota 2 i have less than 30 fps (average 23-25) :/ On 13.12 I have more than 30 fps. Average 35 fps and sometimes to 40 fps.
              Maybe I am doing something wrong, may have somehow configure these drivers? Can anyone confirm how the issue of performance on the HD5000 series?

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                For me on HD5650m performance is bad. Worst than Catalyst 13.12. In dota 2 i have less than 30 fps (average 23-25) :/ On 13.12 I have more than 30 fps. Average 35 fps and sometimes to 40 fps.
                Maybe I am doing something wrong, may have somehow configure these drivers? Can anyone confirm how the issue of performance on the HD5000 series?
                Unless you need openGL 4.x, You're probably better off with the open source drivers. I use them for my HD5750s, the only crappy thing is my 2nd GPU isn't in use. While it seems performance in some games is mildly worse, my gaming (and desktop) experience feels much smoother than it does on Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by mitcoes View Post
                  Gnome 3 and Cinnamon AMD bug is still alive?

AMD is not very worried about Linux if they have this bug for years and they are not working in solving it

NVIDIA SLI have it too

And gnome foundation only have 500k USD a year that is not the salary of less than 10 USA engineers
                  I would say maybe 5 engineers at the most. Even at 50k a year (lolwut), that is going to be around 100k total to employe with benefits/various taxes. In reality, I would think people with that skill set would be making 75-125k+ a year.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                    What about performance in games? Any known and tested? I hope small boost on HD5000 series.
                    I am sorry to be negative, but I don't think the latest drivers benefit the 5000 series at all. For me, with my HD 5870, there is a serious performance degradation with latest fglrx betas (13.11 Beta V9.4 was the last good fglrx for me. 3.12 had downgraded kernel support so I couldn't use it). I'm actually having a somewhat better time with modern radeon and Mesa. I think I will be sticking with that for as long as I keep using this card. (I don't really want to fork out $500 for some Nvidia egg cooker right now) It's good to be free from fglrx too, it made kernel upgrades a serious pain in the ass (and dependent on being able to fix fglrx to get the module to compile and work). Now I could build a new kernel every damned day if I wanted to.

Windows too... the latest betas are worse for me than the latest stable Catalyst 3.12 in Windows. Lesser performance and unrecoverable when a game crashes or freezes, requiring a hard reset instead of task manager killing and recovering. I bought that poxy Call of Duty Ghosts (impulse buy, leading to self flagellation) and I was hoping that driver updates would fix the crashing and freezing, but it made it far worse. Everything else I have is happy so I'll just live with the last stable drivers in Windows.

I think we're going to soon find ourselves using legacy driver packages.
                    Last edited by Grogan; 22 April 2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Today i made a fresh install of XUBUNTU 14.04 LTS, compiled and installed libtxc_dxtn, compiled and installed Kernel 3.13.10, installed Catalyst and proceed to install Steam and TF2...

I launched it, and no matter there were performance improvements , it simply is far from be a minimal enjoyable performance ...far from that. Much less stutters and freezes, but they clearly ruin any gameplay experience even in the Tutorial...

So, i reinstalled AGAIN from start XUBUNTU 14.04 LTS, compiled and installed AGAIN libtxc_dxtn, compiled and installed this time Kernel 3.15-RC2 (and only that...no new MESA or anything else) , installed Steam and restored TF2 and....the FREAKING GAME IS WORKING BEAUTIFULLY !!!

Restored backup of L4D2, SAME THING !!!

NMRiH...SAME !!!

I give up....of Catalyst

Bye Bye Catalyst...

Comment

Working...
                      X