Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Red Hat Developers Propose Wayland For Fedora 21

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    ... if i pick machine for OSS drivers it will be best supported amd graphic card at that time without question, but if i need 3d (gaming or coding)
    You need 3D for coding? O_o

personally, I find Intel or Radeon fine for gaming, ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post

Someone has to program the games and CAD tools :-P

Quote Originally Posted by droste View Post
    Someone has to program the games and CAD tools :-P
    Oh, right.

Quote Originally Posted by daedaluz View Post
    That whole quote just screams to be started with "I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as KDE5, is in fact, KDE Frameworks 5/Plasma Desktop 2, or as I've recently taken to calling it, KDE Frameworks 5 plus Plasma Desktop 2 ..."
    And I take it you stopped there. As I explained, the distinction is important for many reasons, but in this case it is important because the question of "when will it stop supporting X11" will be different for different parts of "KDE 5". The whole point of the renaming is that these different components no longer act as a unified whole, they cooperate but they each have their own policies and own timelines regarding things like wayland. So talking about wayland support or X11 support in "KDE 5" is completely meaningless.

We are talking about a bunch of largely independent things switching over to wayland probably over a period of several years (some maybe never), and switching away from X11 probably over a period of at least a decade (some maybe never). It is a completely useless way of discussing things, one that is just going to leave people more confused rather than less. On the other hand, if we use the proper, upstream names than it is much clearer what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    And I take it you stopped there. As I explained, the distinction is important for many reasons, but in this case it is important because the question of "when will it stop supporting X11" will be different for different parts of "KDE 5". The whole point of the renaming is that these different components no longer act as a unified whole, they cooperate but they each have their own policies and own timelines regarding things like wayland. So talking about wayland support or X11 support in "KDE 5" is completely meaningless.

We are talking about a bunch of largely independent things switching over to wayland probably over a period of several years (some maybe never), and switching away from X11 probably over a period of at least a decade (some maybe never). It is a completely useless way of discussing things, one that is just going to leave people more confused rather than less. On the other hand, if we use the proper, upstream names than it is much clearer what we are talking about.
    I'm sorry, I just happen to find the whole rebranding of KDE as some kind of "community that makes software" just hilarious for multiple reasons. For starters KDE is a community with KDE Community subsection in home page. So very meta!

Quote Originally Posted by KellyClowers View Post

if you develop opengl game... yes, you kinda need 3d. at least last time i checked it was so.

as far as radeon, nah... no opengl4 (which i need) and sub frame rate is a killer. radeon is my first choice for anything but 3d though.

Quote Originally Posted by justmy2cents View Post
    if you develop opengl game... yes, you kinda need 3d. at least last time i checked it was so.

as far as radeon, nah... no opengl4 (which i need) and sub frame rate is a killer. radeon is my first choice for anything but 3d though.
    Radeon drivers have been updated to OGL 4.4.

Quote Originally Posted by grndzro View Post
    Radeon drivers have been updated to OGL 4.4.
    He's talking about the mesa drivers not fglrx.