Testing NVIDIA Optimus / DRI PRIME On Ubuntu 14.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia-prime

nvidia-prime have more performance, more fps, the problems is the tearing, we are unable to put on v sync (i dont know why). this type of problem only be resolved with mir/wayland. i use bumblebee because of this... primusrun uses vsync.

i see a guy asking why intel gpu?! battery life and less heat, simple like that. the problem of this is the bad supporto in linux world for this systems

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
      nvidia-prime have more performance, more fps, the problems is the tearing, we are unable to put on v sync (i dont know why). this type of problem only be resolved with mir/wayland. i use bumblebee because of this... primusrun uses vsync.

i see a guy asking why intel gpu?! battery life and less heat, simple like that. the problem of this is the bad supporto in linux world for this systems
      Thats just it though isn't it, Intel is perfect for 90% of the time, hell, a good chunk of my Linux games work perfectly smooth on it. Least bumblebee gives you the choice like Windows does.

Can only get better I suppose, I need to do more benchmarks to compare everything, especially with "native" performance on Windows. I'm holding off getting a new Alienware because I feel it would be a waste with bumblebee. Least it works I guess

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        stuff
        Thus, we have successfully proved that Intel+AMD is no less headache than Intel+Nvidia.
        By the way I'm running system (its sandy bridge + some 68XX) with runtime_pm=1. OFF ot vgaswitcheroo doesn't help with temperature either. However with acpi_call in the past I was able to idle at 38C.
        Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        Let me guess: Using Ubuntu?
        I have the same problem. I think Ubuntu's xf86-video-ati package is not compiled with gpu offloading support enabled, or they package an old version, or something like that.

Whenever I try another OS, xrandr correctly detects the other card.
        I'm on Arch with testing and on mainline kernel and I rebuild mesa-git from time to time with everything relevant enabled.

Comment

Originally posted by jaw^vovoid View Post
          Also, on my asus zenbook with 14.04 and binary blob, I didn't manage to enable vsync, so the frame rate is jumpy and irratic which isn't very nice. I hope they fix that soon... enabling vsync in environment variable or in nvidia-settings didn't help.,
          I assume the intel card is involved in providing a stable frame rate since everything passes through RAM?
          I have the same issue with DRI_PRIME on AMD. I asked about it some time ago and the response I got was that vsync is not yet supported in DRI_PRIME.

Comment

Also got it working fine with Kubuntu 14.04 and bumblebee (using the primus bridge). Everything is really fast and you can switch on the fly, so I am not sure why anyone would want to deal with the non-realtime switching outside of bumblebee.

I just have one really strange issue: when using the HDMI or VGA out it seems like the nvidia card is running and also recognized by games (automatic configuration etc.) but the performance is still really bad as if only the intel card is running. Has anyone got fast gaming to work on an external screen?

Comment

Working...
            X