Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA Dropping Pre-Fermi GPUs From Their Mainline Linux Driver

Quote Originally Posted by GT220 View Post
    More like worst decision, Nvidia supports GTX 275 until 2016 where as AMD already dropped driver support for HD4000, but I guess you don't seem to understand that.
    Yeah, Nvidia supports GTX 275 till 2016, after that my options are:
    • Keep using the old and vulnerable Linux kernel, xorg (and wayland backend if ever gets released)
    • Paying for a new card which will join the legacy club again around 2020

But my options with 4890 using AMD's open source drivers are:
    • Receiving software updates till the card dies or totally becomes irrelevant
    • Being able to ask for features/questions directly from developers in this forum, mesa-dev mailing list and #dri-devel IRC channel
    • Being able to implement missing features, fix bugs or improve performance with the help of other developers and AMD's public GPU documentations

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    Yeah, Nvidia supports GTX 275 till 2016, after that my options are:
    • Keep using the old and vulnerable Linux kernel, xorg (and wayland backend if ever gets released)
    • Paying for a new card which will join the legacy club again around 2020

But my options with 4890 using AMD's open source drivers are:
    • Receiving software updates till the card dies or totally becomes irrelevant
    • Being able to ask for features/questions directly from developers in this forum, mesa-dev mailing list and #dri-devel IRC channel
    • Being able to implement missing features, fix bugs or improve performance with the help of other developers and AMD's public GPU documentations
    Except that Nvidia has a pretty damn good track record of updating their legacy drivers for the latest Kernel/XOrg release.

Linus dropped support for 386 in the kernel, MESA also dropped support for many old GPUs, don't think open source supports things forever.

Quote Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Except that Nvidia has a pretty damn good track record of updating their legacy drivers for the latest Kernel/XOrg release.
    Except that I don't need to care about AMD's track of updating their legacy drivers anymore

Quote Originally Posted by GT220 View Post
    Linus dropped support for 386 in the kernel, MESA also dropped support for many old GPUs, don't think open source supports things forever.
    They dropped support for hardware which you can only find in museums these days

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Seems overdue. What I don't understand is why they stopped at the 300 series. The 400 series, from my recollection, is (mostly) the same architecture as the 300 but more finely tuned. And same goes for 300 to 200.

Quote Originally Posted by xpander View Post
    i think that decision has come with the gaming perfromance in mind, specialy steamboxes and the like.. nobody sane would use anything older for gaming anyway.
    Really? How does the age of a card affect performance? Do you imply that any of the >400 cards is faster than a GTX260/275/280, just because those are older? And could you tell me which games I can not play with those cards?

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    I have to admit that selecting RadeonHD 4890 over Geforce GTX275 was the best decision in my life
    Haha, you must have made very bad decisions in the past, if that was your best one.

Most of the time you had crappy driver support (catalyst as well as the OSS driver) and after all these years of waiting for a decent driver, you now have an obsolete card which you still can't use to its full potential. I'd rather spend $200 every 5 years for a card that actually has a decent driver, than deal with the crap you had to put up with in the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Really? How does the age of a card affect performance? Do you imply that any of the >400 cards is faster than a GTX260/275/280, just because those are older? And could you tell me which games I can not play with those cards?
    no i did not mean that.. ofc lowend new cards arent better than higher end older ones in terms of raw performance.
    but 2xx series are 2008 ...thats more than 5 years old. everyone who is playing games are going to upgrade anyway sooner or later. by the 2016 they are 8 years old already..thats more than one console cycle.

as of now you can play every game.. Metro LL and NS2 might have some perf problems on highest settings but still can be played . but things wont sit forever on opengl 2.1/3.x

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    What I don't understand is why they stopped at the 300 series. The 400 series, from my recollection, is (mostly) the same architecture as the 300 but more finely tuned.
    Your recollection is wrong. Fermi (400 and 500 series) is very different from what came before. It's 300/200/9/8 that are just refinements of the same thing. And it's exactly those which will be supported by the 340 legacy branch. The nouveau CodeNames page provides a nice overview, the Nvidia branches align perfectly according to the families described there:

NV04 - 71 branch
    NV10/NV20 - 96 branch
    NV30 - 173 branch
    NV40 - 304 branch
    NV50 - 340 branch
    NVC0 and beyond - mainline