A Look At The New Gedit GUI In GNOME 3.12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Is there anything we can do to keep our thread more professional and constructive, even if everyone does have their own opinion? What is wrong with GNOME applications, including GEdit and why are any of the applications a trainwreck? What, if any changes can be made to suit your likes and personality? What about aesthetics?

For me, what I like is Unity and GNOME 3. I like what I'm seeing for GNOME applications. I like the fact that GNOME is making their applications touch-friendly even though I am using my desktop computer. I do like the ambiance/radiance theme for GNOME applications. I like the fact that the UI controls are fully integrated into a title bar like Mac OS X, which I also like but then some Linux freaks might boo me down for that--heh). One of my favorite feature that I miss in GNOME 3 is the HUD. You hit the Alt key, type a command you're looking for, and hit Enter once you use the up-down arrow keys to select it. HUD is not about searching through files, but through menus of applications -- even complex menus.

Of course, I cannot have it both ways, but if we could share our experience with each other, being that just about everyone have different tastes and workflows, like one prefers Unity (like me but I like GNOME 3), some prefer KDE, XFCE, or whatever desktop environment, we could improve things for the better. Maybe we could fork GNOME 3 and Unity and combine things and mix things up. Make it look unique! Make the desktop look beautiful by having some transparency in titlebars and task bars. What about roll-down notification tray with volume control, networking, mail notification, and social networking combined all in one panel? I'm sure some Windows or Mac users might flock over to Linux. Sure, you can say "my post sucks" but let me ask you this: what is wrong with my post? I mean, why do you not want to see a fork of Unity and GNOME 3 combined and mixed things up? You see what I'm going here?

Of course, there's no need to be a troll unless you want to get your account banned for being a loudmouth but name-calling is completely unnecessary and this thread could get heated. My only advice is to not feed a troll and let it be. No need for bickering.
    have to admit this, but you got it right in one point and your post really made me think. whenever i see gnome post i go ballistic. my main grudge would be gnome killing Gtk and whole linux desktop feel. i was few times on the verge of forking Gtk just to keep viable development toolkit for people like me who live of writing cross platform apps with it or desktops which use it and are not Gnome.

i really wish fork you mentioned would come to fruition

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      so, you
      - want dialogs having buttons on top? that makes one really consistent desktop when you need more than note taker. to make it worse, gnome people made it as default in Gtk.
      I'm indifferent.

- search only based desktop where developers have no brains to notice that their solution can't work in multilingual setup
      What?

- removing application groups while providing dumbest ever solution?
      Removed arbitrary grouping to add (in the future) the chance for users to group apps how they want.

- want to have desktop less functional than your phone?
      Bullshit.

- Appmenus you said you don't like, but they are still dumbest solution ever that needs extra mentioning. they fragmented menu in 2 hidden clusterfucks which are on opposite sides of screen to make it worse
      Wow, you sure are angry over nothing.

misfortune of gnome being default desktop on many distros is single-handedly destroying any chance linux ever had to reach there. if every distro is complete clusterfuck of HIG designs, how does that makes it viable?

i really think that only positive thing gnome could do is die with a little dignity in order to save linux desktop. but, i guess gnome is working towards new 10x10 anyway. last 10 active users in next 10 months
      Just going out on a limb here, your 2 cents? Yeah, not worth much.

Comment

i was avid gedit user, but can't even start imagining using this crap
        you don't need to imagine anything just remember instead, when was the last time you actually used the menu bar? more room for viewing code is the way I see it. I look forward to trying it out. For the record my initial reaction was the same as yours it's just human reaction to change, then I actually thought about it and changed my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
          [...] when was the last time you actually used [...]
          A good plat.. I mean argument incoming.

Comment

Originally posted by tarceri View Post
            you don't need to imagine anything just remember instead, when was the last time you actually used the menu bar? more room for viewing code is the way I see it. I look forward to trying it out. For the record my initial reaction was the same as yours it's just human reaction to change, then I actually thought about it and changed my mind.
            gedit puts lots of plugins into menu, so yea. i use it a lot (made 2 or 3 custom plugins too). although my rant with stuffing menu into that button goes deeper. more on that below (and i apologize for going OT here)

as long as we are on the record, i don't mind changes as long as they makes sense. you can go trough all of my posts and you'll notice the only things i bash are when something pisses against the wind with that change, never because "something changed, my world just collapsed"

gnome stuffing whole menu under 1-3 (nautilus in 3.12 has 3 menu buttons and is probably even better example than gedit) buttons with "picture only" simply makes no sense usability wise (it does on tablet though). especially when you combine with the fact that they removed icons from buttons and menus. why removing them in one place where they made sense and make them obligate exactly where they don't make sense. you won't find one post from me on removing bitmaps though, i maybe didn't agree, but i also didn't rant since that change didn't made real difference. stucking menus under unresolvable mess of the picture... that's another story

btw, when i named menu buttons i actually have to explain more http://worldofgnome.org/gtk-3-12-top-101-features/ 2. csd can have appmenu actually solves my biggest issue i have with gnome where applications become usable in other environments. except... now you have 3 monochromatic pictures for menus which are now on 2 opposite sides of the window. go figure and expect for new user to figure this out or remember all shortcuts. with a bit of smarter design and choice between tablet or desktop profile for applications this could be solved really fast. not to mention application development could go few steps beyond. same goes for new multi selections in gnome 3.12. while the current one makes sense on tablet, with mouse... annoying as hell. profile and mouse/touch handling would go miles here
            Last edited by justmy2cents; 17 April 2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X