No announcement yet.

Say Hello To The "KDE Leaks" Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with "who_me": quality control of news articles could be better (along with less notifications about rather boring things). Maybe you should get someone from the relevant mailing list to proof-read stuff like this?

Comment

KDE and Phoronix

I think that Michael does a great job withing the Linux / FOSS community. That he does not always write articles that others love comes with the territory.

I can read and appreciate both his tests and others arguments AGAINST said tests. Without being rude.

There have been a long, and I think, very frank discussion within the KDE community about the underlying technologies of the akonadi and nepomuk system. If a very talented coder wants to replace parts of it I can see no "we are trying to hide our huge mistake" or something. I just see someone finding something they think is better and suggesting that as a replacement. As a new or improved filesystem, as KDE4/5 instead of KDE3 and so on.

Maybe just cool it on the Conspiracy Theories?? And flames against a dedicated fan of FOSS?

Comment

As we seem to have KDE devs in this thread, I hope this isn't too far off here.

The article about ballo and nepomuk encouraged me to review the akoadi config on my laptop - on the desktop I'm just fine having akonadi always started when I'm logged in to KDE because I always run kontact. On my 12" ThinkPad Edge E145 (Kabini Dualcore) though, I only start it when I want to read mails, and thus, akonadi doesn't need to be started at every login. It only eats battery and startup time then, even delaying the background image (which actually is a 30-minute-GL-slideshow) by several seconds. So I set ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc -> StartServer=false (defaults to "true")

Now login is much quicker, fan doesn't speed up at login anymore, background image is there immediately, great! Yet now, when I start kmail or kontact, it tries to trigger akonadi, waits for like a minute ... and then fails! When I look at akonadi, it says it couldn't be started.

The only way to circumvent this is to edit ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc -> StartServer=true and THEN start kmail / kontact. No problems then, everything's easy. Yet I don't want to edit akonadiserverrc EVERY time I want to start kmail (or perheaps write a wrapper script would also not be a healthy solution) and again after stopping kmail or logout, couldn't there be a StartServer Option like "auto" or "ondemand"? I think, back in the days (or some predecessor framework) worked just like this.

Please, folks

Me being an almost always satisfied* KDE user since (pre-) 1.0 btw, great job guys!
        *4.1, 4.2 (yepp 4.0 was beta I know) transition was a little tough 4.3 finally came back to being usable
        Last edited by edgar_wibeau; 19 February 2014, 05:02 AM.

Comment

So in other words, you are going to have unpaid people skimming public mailing lists for more stuff that you can hastily throw on the site without properly research or understanding it. Yeah, that is going to be great.

I also find it ironic that people are accusing KDE of having closed-doors discussions on a public mailing list.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar_wibeau View Post
            As we seem to have KDE devs in this thread, I hope this isn't too far off here.

The article about ballo and nepomuk encouraged me to review the akoadi config on my laptop - on the desktop I'm just fine having akonadi always started when I'm logged in to KDE because I always run kontact. On my 12" ThinkPad Edge E145 (Kabini Dualcore) though, I only start it when I want to read mails, and thus, akonadi doesn't need to be started at every login. It only eats battery and startup time then, even delaying the background image (which actually is a 30-minute-GL-slideshow) by several seconds. So I set ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc -> StartServer=false (defaults to "true")

Now login is much quicker, fan doesn't speed up at login anymore, background image is there immediately, great! Yet now, when I start kmail or kontact, it tries to trigger akonadi, waits for like a minute ... and then fails! When I look at akonadi, it says it couldn't be started.

The only way to circumvent this is to edit ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc -> StartServer=true and THEN start kmail / kontact. No problems then, everything's easy. Yet I don't want to edit akonadiserverrc EVERY time I want to start kmail (or perheaps write a wrapper script would also not be a healthy solution) and again after stopping kmail or logout, couldn't there be a StartServer Option like "auto" or "ondemand"? I think, back in the days (or some predecessor framework) worked just like this.

Please, folks

Me being an almost always satisfied* KDE user since (pre-) 1.0 btw, great job guys!
            *4.1, 4.2 (yepp 4.0 was beta I know) transition was a little tough 4.3 finally came back to being usable
            I'm not a KDE dev but if I'm remember correct akonadi is only started on demand. You need to remove everything that try to start akonadi when you don't use it. I think the calendar/clock plasmoid in the right corner starts akonadi to get event integration. I think they have a setting there somewhere to inactivate the akonadi integration in the calendar plasmoid.

Comment

Anyone surprised that the well known iffy dev Graesslin freaks out about something that doesnt runs 100% like he wanted? https://plus.google.com/+MartinGr%C3...ts/T23tK6r4qLb

Comment

Originally posted by Akka View Post
                I'm not a KDE dev but if I'm remember correct akonadi is only started on demand. You need to remove everything that try to start akonadi when you don't use it. I think the calendar/clock plasmoid in the right corner starts akonadi to get event integration. I think they have a setting there somewhere to inactivate the akonadi integration in the calendar plasmoid.
                I didn't think of something like that, will have a look this eveneing - thanks alot!

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                  Anyone surprised that the well known iffy dev Graesslin freaks out about something that doesnt runs 100% like he wanted? https://plus.google.com/+MartinGr%C3...ts/T23tK6r4qLb
                  Perhaps if Phoronix articles were actually accurate this wouldn't be as much of an issue. The whole reason people in the KDE development community are upset about this is because they anticipated that Phoronix in particular was going to get this wrong, so they attempted to approach this in a manner that would make it less likely that Phoronix would have room to make basic mistakes, and then Phoronix went and screwed it up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                    So in other words, you are going to have unpaid people skimming public mailing lists for more stuff that you can hastily throw on the site without properly research or understanding it. Yeah, that is going to be great.

I also find it ironic that people are accusing KDE of having closed-doors discussions on a public mailing list.
                    It is an open source project. We have only one closed mailing list for the KDE-ev but it is only used for topics that really can not be done in the open. I think the marketing discussions were opened up to encourage wider engagement.

Comment

Someone on the G+ discussion made a good point:

"And I get why people are angry at Phoronix and the misinformation. He should have contacted the developer to hear his thoughts before going with it. It's basic journalism. He could then still have gone with it (as I find the news about Baloo interesting) but be factually more correct."

Comment

Working...
                      X