Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan 9 Is Now Available Under The GNU GPLv2

Phoronix: Plan 9 Is Now Available Under The GNU GPLv2

For those that didn't hear the news from earlier this week, the Plan 9 operating system out of Bell Labs has now been relicensed under the GPLv2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They could release Unix under GPLv2 instead BSD...oops...we can relicence under GPLv2 the Unix

Comment

Weird how Berkeley is choosing GPL over BSD... Maybe it's a fork of a fork?

No matter, these days any Plan9 news is good news

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
        Weird how Berkeley is choosing GPL over BSD... Maybe it's a fork of a fork?

No matter, these days any Plan9 news is good news
        A new OS project has emerged called Akaros, which is under the GPLv2. The Plan 9 Lucent Public License is GPL-incompatible, so this dual-licensing allows Plan9 code to be incorporated into Akaros.

Comment

Originally posted by JX8p View Post
          A new OS project has emerged called Akaros, which is under the GPLv2. The Plan 9 Lucent Public License is GPL-incompatible, so this dual-licensing allows Plan9 code to be incorporated into Akaros.
          My question was directed at Akaros rather than Plan9: Why would Berkeley choose to release a project not under "Berkeley Software Distribution" (BSD)? My theory was that they are forking \ relying on non-BSD code so they have to use GPLv2 as well.

I should probably have worded my question better... :/

Comment

Hope we can see some Plan 9 code pushed into Linux now.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Hope we can see some Plan 9 code pushed into Linux now.
              What for? Is there any specific code in Plan 9 that could be both useful in Linux, and practical to port across? I'm thinking probably not... any desirable features could have been (and perhaps were) copied in Linux years ago if anyone wanted them, and I can't imagine the code is all that useful... anything valuable would need a lot of rewriting to port it to Linux kernel APIs and subsystems...

Comment

Wow, talk about a change of heart compared to the 1992 Unix Systems Labs v. UC Berkeley lawsuit. Of course, none of the AT&T and Unix Systems Labs successor companies own the UNIX trademark any more. That now belongs to The Open Group.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
                  What for? Is there any specific code in Plan 9 that could be both useful in Linux, and practical to port across? I'm thinking probably not... any desirable features could have been (and perhaps were) copied in Linux years ago if anyone wanted them, and I can't imagine the code is all that useful... anything valuable would need a lot of rewriting to port it to Linux kernel APIs and subsystems...
                  How about the other way around? Now that Plan9 is available as GPL, you could port drivers from the linux kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                    How about the other way around? Now that Plan9 is available as GPL, you could port drivers from the linux kernel.
                    Not quite. The article says it's now dual-licensed, so the drivers could only be ported to the GPL version of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X