Kdbus Will Likely Be Merged Into The Kernel This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's so harmful about glib?

I agree NFS sucks, but I didn't find anything better so far. Does 9p reliably work on linux?

And seriously, what's wrong with GTK+ or Qt? If you prefer C over C++ you should like at least GTK+. Also, GTK+ does so much more than TK.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      What's so harmful about glib?
      the interface... it's just horrible reeally, oh god
      gobject, no please
      and unportable

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      If you prefer C over C++ you should like at least GTK+. Also, GTK+ does so much more than TK.
      you are forced to use the glib-tier gtk+ interface, you are also forced to use gobjects

also, see this http://suckless.org/sucks

the same shit-tier API has the dbus too

all these things are sooo ugly

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Think if they used Intents, the IPC system from Android.

Isn't D-Bus a serialized data format?
        Think if they used JSON or Google's Protocol Buffers or Apache Thrift (developed by Facebook) instead?

Doesn't Plan 9 from Bell Labs have any IPC system?
        Considereding who is behind Plan 9, its probably good.
        Android Intents are implemented over Binder, which is very similar to kdbus... or actually kdbus is similar to Binder as Binder came first.
        kdbus is supposed to be better than Binder in several areas (don't remember now but they surely talked about that in the presentation).

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
          sadly you do not know from what world I come from. I like the (A)GPL much more than BSD
          lala land and year there is 1980s?

Comment

the interface... it's just horrible reeally, oh god
            gobject, no please
            and unportable
            Actually, I like the interface quite a lot. It's very clean IMHO. And why is it unportable? It runs on Win and at least anything that remotely supports POSIX.

you are forced to use the glib-tier gtk+ interface, you are also forced to use gobjects
            Well, guess where glib comes from?

also, see this http://suckless.org/sucks

*implements C++ STL on top of C (because C++ sucks so much, let’s reinvent it!),*
            STL, really? I can't see any similarity between gobject and STL. The last time I checked c has no templates and thus there is no way gobject could emulate this. GObject is an attempt to bring objects to C, related to objective c. Actually, glib is free of any gobjects -- at least it was the last time I checked. gobject is a seperate library.

Also, gobject makes languange bindings very easy. Nowadays, you can auto-generate e.g. Haskell bindings of GTK+ using gobject-introspection. This is possible for *any* C library which uses gobject.

Also, I don't see what's so bad about C++ and it's templates - maybe apart from the syntax. As soon as you got used to it, it provides you with the means for writing quite fast simulations.

the same shit-tier API has the dbus too. all these things are sooo ugly
            So you basically don't like the look of the DBUS API.
            Last edited by oleid; 13 February 2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Think if they used Intents, the IPC system from Android.

Isn't D-Bus a serialized data format?
              Think if they used JSON or Google's Protocol Buffers or Apache Thrift (developed by Facebook) instead?

Doesn't Plan 9 from Bell Labs have any IPC system?
              Considereding who is behind Plan 9, its probably good.
              Do you mean binder rather than intents? Intents certainly use binder but they also use ashmem for allocation.
              Dbus is serialized XML, iirc, but kdbus is moving to the gvariant serialization (not XML amongst other things).
              They didn't just take dbus and drive it into the kernel (I'm not saying you said this, just want to be clear) they adapted it.
              It looks to be very, very good.

Comment

Sadly all software sucks, some more, some other less, if you think otherwise you are dreaming
                http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/
                As soon as I saw that Internationalized Domain Names and POSIX Locales are listed as "Harmful things that are so superfluous and useless that require no alternative", I realized that it was a list made by an arrogant, anglocentric fool.

As such, it's only useful for bringing "less harmful" things to the attention of someone who is willing to do a real evaluation of how well things meet real-world needs and what the pro/con trade-offs are. (Though I might be willing to give you a little more respect if you're willing to have things like ISO 8601 dates, 24-hour time, A4 paper, and the whole metric system (no miles, Brits) forced on you in the name of a single, worldwide standard locale.)
                Last edited by ssokolow; 13 February 2014, 07:04 PM.

Comment

I will not continue this, you started making non-arguments and strawman arguments ignoring everything I said
                  goodbye

Comment

I will not continue this, you started making non-arguments and strawman arguments ignoring everything I said
                    goodbye
                    That last argument was pretty understandable. I?ve worked in a computer service store for some time, and we were required to install Dutch versions of operating systems. A lot of our customers could not speak English.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
                      Could you give any examples why dbus is that bad?
                      Stop feeding the troll!

Comment

Working...
                      X