Valve Works To Empower In-Home Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would, too.

But I have one problem with that. The main advantage for me is that you can keep your streaming client free from unfree Software, so you dont install the normal NSA-Rootkits (aka every proprietary software at least from americans) on your linux system.

So I know there is a possibility to use a browser with html5 + javascript or mostly javascript to stream that, to lazy now to google it, so I guess this patches will not come to this browser-solution.

Valve should release a opensource streaming client, no drm issues there, but we will see if that browser solution works ok Its nice

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      So I know there is a possibility to use a browser with html5 + javascript or mostly javascript to stream that, to lazy now to google it, so I guess this patches will not come to this browser-solution.
      It's possible to watch a video stream inside your browser. Sending back input to the server is another matter - input capture inside a browser window is deliberately restricted. And gamepad capture is currently impossible.

HTTP isn't a good protocol for low-latency, network-adaptive streaming either, and don't even ask about service discovery that many users will need.

Just run the steam client under a new, restricted user account..
      Last edited by rohcQaH; 06 February 2014, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
        That streaming idea is nonsense. Who's going to run two machines to play one game? Nobody.
        Oh, mister know it all! I've been using it every day for a week now. I have a big PC in one room running Windows and a Linux netbook I carry around and play Civilization V on. And even if they ported the game to linux the netbook couldn't run it, the hardware is not powerful enough. But it's small, light and easy to hold and thanks to streaming the game runs smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          I don't think it can be headless though.

At least not yet.
          It can be headless. There is no need to touch the PC running the game, so a simple windows setup with steam autostart works.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post

Just run the steam client under a new, restricted user account..
            While all the talk around the town has been about Valve introducing the Steam Box for the home living room solution, what a lot of people may have completely overlooked is that perhaps the Steam Box w

I would need some sort of a real sandbox mechanism before I even think of running propriatary blobs on my linux machines.

Except maybe wine I dont know of such technology for blobs.

So its doable, maybe some 3rd party guys make a streaming-only client... should not be so difficult a bit like a video-player with a bit extra input stuff. Except Steam made some drm around it.

If not Streaming is completly useless, makes no sense to me, it supposed to be a solution or compromise for people which want their freedom but not want to have only 5 low-quality games availible and dont need a windows machine with usb/hdmi switch and stuff like that.

So this will not be a solution for me at all... I will stick then forever on a seperate gaming machine with windows on it.

Valve failed here sad ;(

Comment

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Pla...dec-55368.html

I would need some sort of a real sandbox mechanism before I even think of running propriatary blobs on my linux machines.

Except maybe wine I dont know of such technology for blobs.

So its doable, maybe some 3rd party guys make a streaming-only client... should not be so difficult a bit like a video-player with a bit extra input stuff. Except Steam made some drm around it.

If not Streaming is completly useless, makes no sense to me, it supposed to be a solution or compromise for people which want their freedom but not want to have only 5 low-quality games availible and dont need a windows machine with usb/hdmi switch and stuff like that.

So this will not be a solution for me at all... I will stick then forever on a seperate gaming machine with windows on it.

Valve failed here sad ;(
              That's not going to be a problem for 99% of users. I know, trying to run only open source is commendable, but then you shouldn't be running steam in any form, so the fact that in home streaming is not helping here does not matter. For the majority this is not the issue as they do not care, games bought or steam are closed sourced anyway so complaining about the client doesn't make any sense.

Valve did not fail they are simply not trying to address this strange issue. Streaming allows playing windows games on Linux with zero compatibility issues and what is more important allows playing them on really cheap hardware that otherwise would not run the games. That's the big win here. Plus isn't it better to be 90% open source (linux with some blobs) than 0% (windows)?

Having said all that - Linux has tools that would allow you to sandbox a whole distro, so yes, you could sandbox steam.

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
                That's not going to be a problem for 99% of users. I know, trying to run only open source is commendable, but then you shouldn't be running steam in any form, so the fact that in home streaming is not helping here does not matter. For the majority this is not the issue as they do not care, games bought or steam are closed sourced anyway so complaining about the client doesn't make any sense.
                it makes sense, because if a streaming-cleint would be opensource you can have a seperate pc with as example windows installed and steam as server a full working drm so valve gets what they say they want drm, why would a streaming client need drm too? Now I switch with usb-switch and a randr script to my windows pc which is for gaming only.

It makes sense if you care to have clean working system without spyware adware and viruses and shit.

Valve did not fail they are simply not trying to address this strange issue. Streaming allows playing windows games on Linux with zero compatibility issues and what is more important allows playing them on really cheap hardware that otherwise would not run the games. That's the big win here. Plus isn't it better to be 90% open source (linux with some blobs) than 0% (windows)?
                We will see about that, history told that propriatary have garbage quality as example flash, so I want to be free to stream my stuff with what I want.

BTW at least if you want to limit the freedom of people or less pathetic you want to use closedsource peases you should tell a good reason for that. Else its clear that it must been hidden bad reasons, as example giving nsa a backdoor.

And that no users want freedom or opensource I cant belive, I guess that 50% of the linux users care about freedom the other not at all. So you loose 50% (inkl. me) of the current users, ok maybe that doesnt matter if steam succeds you have many/most of the current windows users, and they care not/less. But it failed in that way then... of course it may be successful in money making.

But Valve failes in beeing better than any other corporate evil company.

Having said all that - Linux has tools that would allow you to sandbox a whole distro, so yes, you could sandbox steam.
                The question is if vdpau and such stuff work in a virtualisased system I am pretty shure not. So it does not help you much.

So the only thing we maybe get are better opensource drivers from this deal with them we cant play anything anyway because we have only our old few low end grafics games for which we have fast enough free drivers anyway.

And is Valve at least helping r600 devs by sending them patches or something?

like Android maybe opened up a bit the smartphone market but closed down the tablet market, because their tablets are mostly incompatible with gnu or not usable because the companies love to keep the users unfree and their bitches, and now even tablets got locked down and mostly completly unusable under gnu/linux. If Android would not have happend, ARM would not have succeded on the tablet market at all, so we would have maybe more cheaper more open intel tablets now.

Lets hope I am wrong and some can hack this mini-clients together like I said if they made no special hard drm into it, the client part should be extremly easy to implement.

Comment

it makes sense, because if a streaming-cleint would be opensource you can have a seperate pc with as example windows installed and steam as server a full working drm so valve gets what they say they want drm, why would a streaming client need drm too? Now I switch with usb-switch and a randr script to my windows pc which is for gaming only.

It makes sense if you care to have clean working system without spyware adware and viruses and shit.
                  Are you really comparing closed software to having adware, viruses etc??? If yes, that's paranoiac.

Your right, a streaming client doesn't need drm, but there is no streaming client as such, it is a part of steam's client.

Plus I maintain - gamers do not really care about, they (and we) use proprietary drivers, buy closed source games and assume (rightly) that of it works the openness does not matter.

So, in-home streaming may be useless to you, but it is useful to their customers.

Comment

Are you really comparing closed software to having adware, viruses etc??? If yes, that's paranoiac.

Your right, a streaming client doesn't need drm, but there is no streaming client as such, it is a part of steam's client.

Plus I maintain - gamers do not really care about, they (and we) use proprietary drivers, buy closed source games and assume (rightly) that of it works the openness does not matter.

So, in-home streaming may be useless to you, but it is useful to their customers.
                    Not for many german users at least, if you dont care in other countries go ahead.

We know now that nsa made microsoft do their skype unsecure so that nsa can listen to all of it or crap at least from everybody the metadata and listen to everybody who have some business information they could use.

So when we know that its american law that every software from america has to have be unsecure and at least nsa can come into it easily, and the companies are not allowed to talk about it or get in prison. We basicly know that this is true for steam too.

So maybe there is not other adware and stuff in it (we cant know because its closed source) but we can be shure enough that there is a rootkit in it.

BTW sony had one too. We just did not find it by valve yet.

(google sony rootkit)

Comment

Not for many german users at least, if you dont care in other countries go ahead.

We know now that nsa made microsoft do their skype unsecure so that nsa can listen to all of it or crap at least from everybody the metadata and listen to everybody who have some business information they could use.

So when we know that its american law that every software from america has to have be unsecure and at least nsa can come into it easily, and the companies are not allowed to talk about it or get in prison. We basicly know that this is true for steam too.

So maybe there is not other adware and stuff in it (we cant know because its closed source) but we can be shure enough that there is a rootkit in it.

BTW sony had one too. We just did not find it by valve yet.

(google sony rootkit)
                      Being conscious and being paranoid is not the same thing. It sounds like a person who heard about a robber in the area and now sees a thief lurking in every shadow... Still, you want to play games, that are closed sourced and whatever you do, whether you use streaming or not you will have to use closed code. So it's a fight you can't win...

Comment

Working...
                      X