No announcement yet.

Open-Source Blu-ray Decryption Library For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I would like to have some blu-rays, but only if I know that in 10 years time I'll be able to read them on any computing device I want to.
    Otherwise, i'll just stream or rent.

Comment

still true with blurays

Comment

For Blu-rays that are given away, sure, I agree that having a FOSS way of playing them is nice. But I'm by far not convinced about buying them. If Hollywood doesn't want us to play their movies on FOSS platforms, then they will not get my money. No matter if it's possible to hack it or not. I wouldn't even buy DVD videos, either. As for the money going to the actual film creators, I'd wager that more of the money spent on a disc goes to DRM schemes and Hollywood lobbyists than the actual authors.

Comment

libbluray released 2 weeks ago: ftp://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/libbdplus/0.1.0/
          libbdplus-0.1.0.tar.bz2 311 KB 18.12.2013 23:18:00

Official announcement: http://www.videolan.org/news.html

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
            libaacs and libbdplus are fully open-source and work in a standalone way, while apparently libmmbd seems to be little more than a wrapper using MakeMKV for all the dirty work. And MakeMKV is closed source.
            That may be one of the reasons libbdplus was revived.
            libmmbd is LGPL. It can be used by open source apps as well as closed source ones (MakeMKV).

Comment

From your very own link :

The way library works, it launches a MakeMKV instance in background and communicates with MakeMKV in order to get decryption keys - so working MakeMKV is required for the library to function.
              So you can't use libmmbd without MakeMKV, it's just a wrapper. As the later is closed source, the whole stays closed.
              It's still possibly nice to have, mind you, in case open source stuff fails to work.

As to why buy bluray, it's the same as why buy DVD. The Hobbit, for instance, now only provides the appendix on bluray, the DVDs only provide the film. At some point, some films will only be released on bluray and not just Hollywood ones.
              So I'm pleased if there is an open source solution to get HD films, as downloading sites like Ultraviolet are even less Open Source friendly. I usually rip the DVD I buy, in order to watch them from my home NFS server from the various computers of my house. I would appreciate to do the same with BR (this, BTW, allows me to cut the above marketing crap of DVDs :-)). I would even more appreciate to buy and download just quality MP4 files, just as I do with MP3, but Hollywood seems to be still quite far from this type of offer.
              As someone above said, I want to buy films and music from the artists that I like, because I want them to continue making films and music and having good DVD and BR sales is important in that aspect.

Comment

@rvdboom: Oh, I can see that now, you're right. I didn't understand libmmbd & MakeMKV architecture. That's great we have libbdplus then!

Comment

My screen can't do 4k (1080p), and my eyes can't do 1080p (barely 720p), so why exactly should I care about blurays again :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    My screen can't do 4k (1080p), and my eyes can't do 1080p (barely 720p), so why exactly should I care about blurays again :P
                    I don't think anybody is trying to force you to care.
                    (also, blurays are not 4k)

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                      I don't think anybody is trying to force you to care.
                      (also, blurays are not 4k)
                      4K is only good for PC's atm the Xboned you and PS4 only run at 1080p max
                      Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Comment

Working...
                      X