Systemd's Networkd Now Supports Bridging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomegun View Post
    At first, we want to focus on stuff that has a more-or-less static configuration. So if each of your interfaces always connect to only one network (i.e., your machine is not a phone/laptop), we probably want to support it.

At first we target static IP addresses and bridging, next step will be DHCPv4. After that we will see depending on what people decide to work on, but DHCPv6, IPv4LL, DNAv4, teaming, vlan, ... are the kinds of things I'm interested in.
    Well, it fits my needs. Even though my computer is a laptop, I only use it at home, always with the same network. I might eventually start using it outside, when I get more advanced in my studies, but I can switch to something more versatile then, it will be a while

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      Assuming you are being sarcastic...it actually is VERY unix-y. Systemd, the process, only does one thing...it handles process management. It, however, has many modules that perform their own duties above systemd, but systemd itself can't handle those things.
      Systemd is only a 4K process on my 64bit system, with systemd-udevd, systemd-logind both even smaller...but they do different things.
      Seriously, systemd is tiny.
      People hate systemd for emotional reasons, not because of any logical argument against it. If anyone really thought systemd was bad, they would create a better product in a competitor that would prove the flaws.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        People hate systemd for emotional reasons, not because of any logical argument against it. If anyone really thought systemd was bad, they would create a better product in a competitor that would prove the flaws.
        I agree most hate it for emotional reasons (those being Lennart related or from that same place as "they-took-our-jobs" comes from), but I've heard some people make technical arguments against it (that it is works only on linux is both an observation and a technical argument, but not much of one if you don't care about alternate kernels...like me!). Even in those cases the better manned bsd projects get similar functionality by adopting launchd (from which systemd got its socket activation feature from, but not a huge amount else as I understand it).

Comment

Also, systemd-journald requires systemd. But, unlike what you stated, systemd-udevd does not, and is in fact currently used by all of the non-systemd distros.
          I have a proposal. From now on, every time somebody says "you can use udev without systemd", he will have to also illustrate the exact steps required to actually make use of udev without systemd. Bonus points if he adds the official documentation explaining how to do so. Double bonus points if he points to documentation identifying each systemd release where this process was changed in an incompatible way. Deal?

Comment

Ok, to be more precise, eudev does not solve any technical problem caused by udev being merged with systemd. For more details, I suggest reading through their git repository or watching their FOSDEM2013 talk.
            Could you explain further?

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
              I have a proposal. From now on, every time somebody says "you can use udev without systemd", he will have to also illustrate the exact steps required to actually make use of udev without systemd. Bonus points if he adds the official documentation explaining how to do so. Double bonus points if he points to documentation identifying each systemd release where this process was changed in an incompatible way. Deal?
              +1

that "you could easily run all that without systemd" is the biggest lie nowadays. systemd is like a black whole which sucks all into itself. and once its there, there is no way to get a single piece out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                +1

that "you could easily run all that without systemd" is the biggest lie nowadays. systemd is like a black whole which sucks all into itself. and once its there, there is no way to get a single piece out of it.
                Build a minimal build, take udev and rm the rest?

Comment

Originally posted by k1l_ View Post
                  +1

Debian proved your assertion wrong: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/systemd

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Debian proved your assertion wrong: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/systemd
                    you know what is going on on the init topic in debian right now?

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                      Gentoo seems to also have both systemd-udev versions 204 and 208 (latest). As does Ubuntu that ships udev 204. They also use systemd-{logind,timedated,hostnamed,localed} on top of Upstart.

Comment

Working...
                      X