Linus Acknowledges 32-Bit Linux As Less Important

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
    Doubt it, until you can't buy a memory module chip less than 4GB, as you'll see it in embedded. And i predict it will be a long time before windows drops thier 32-bit COM ABI.
    Well I don't think any of them will drop the 32-bit support from the 64-bit OS this decade, perhaps with the exception of Apple, but also towards the end of the decade. Even if all devices on the market will have 64-bit hardware and 64-bit operating systems, it will probably be a while until ALL developers move their apps from 32-bit to 64-bit.

On Android and iOS, it will probably be easier to tell and force developers to compile their apps for 64-bit within a certain period of time. But for Windows, and probably Linux, too, it's probably harder to tell everyone who has ever made a program for them, to compile it for 64-bit also. But I could see even devices with 2 GB of RAM using 64-bit OS's, which is what you're talking about. Heck, iOS is already 64-bit on iPhone 5S, and it only has 1 GB of RAM, so I don't think that's much of a problem. Most OS vendors should be able to dump their 32-bit OS, while still maintaining support for 32-bit apps on their 64-bit OS for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I would be surprised if there were any 64 bit android devices in the next couple years.
      There are multiple vendors promising 64-bit android devices in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        The move from 16-bit to 32-bit was much more important than the move from 32-bit to 64-bit due to the fact that most software does not benefit from 64-bit memory addressing, that's why 32-bit and 64-bit have been coexisting for such a long time.
        as if it was all about more memory....

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Less important?

Bay Trail is still 32bit only until at least 2014Q2 and is brand new hardware. So Linus is essentially saying "Let's not bother with Bay Trail hardware until a full 64bit Bay Trail product complete with 64bit UEFI firmware is shipping".
          That's intel's problem. They should have gone with this as a 64bit part, not 32bit. 32bit is still supportly but rightly so it's a second class citizen when it comes to serious full featured high performance desktop use.

Comment

Working...
          X