Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    I will know that I'm getting OpenGL 3.3 when I download Mesa 3.3
    When you download Mesa 3.3 you will at most get OpenGL 1.2, since even 1.3 wasn't out at that time. Just to keep this thread pedantic.

Comment

OK, just for the sake of argument, lets say you have a card which supports up to opengl 3.3 and the current version of mesa will support opengl 3.3 on that card, is mesa still flawed?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        If it wasn't flawed, then it wouldn't still be in development... It doesn't matter what you advertise, your product still has major flaws of not being perfect at what it's supposed to be doing. Furthermore, it still doesn't matter if you are lucky enough to have a graphics card which supports Mesa's OpenGL 3.3 compliance when it performs like crap.
        To quote one of Yahtzee's more colourful expressions: "That's not logic, that's fucking bat shit on a sandwich."

Mesa is "perfect" as far as it can successfully handle all of the things it advertises - and what it advertises is what it is "supposed to be doing". Nothing more and nothing less.

You projecting your own personal hopes, or anyone else's personal hopes, on what the project can be does not change the fact that it functions perfectly well at what it is supposed to be doing as of this moment; that does not mean that it can't be expanded to do more than what it is currently supposed to be doing, just that it is not flawed for only doing what it can at the moment.

And if you want to stop us being pedantic you can stop being obnoxiously intransigent.

Comment

This.

And I would not have started this discussion, when Michael had written something along the lines that mesa still has a way to go before it has fully implemented all OpenGL versions, which they are planning to do but did not promise for this version yet. He could have written the opensource graphic stack of linux needs this to better compete with the proprietary drivers or other platform or something like that. But for now, it does not advertise that, and therefore it is not inherently flawed, it is just not yet at the point we all would like it to be one day.

I dont want to be overly pedantic with words, it is just about the sound of it: The Mesa devs have done a great job so far and deserve our greatest thanks and respect for it, not constant complaining about the obvious on every realese, as if they could not deliver what they promise. That just implies the wrong thing about what the "problem" is.

Comment

Working...
          X