Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinnamon 2.0 Desktop Officially Released

Phoronix: Cinnamon 2.0 Desktop Officially Released

LinuxMint has now officially announced the release of the Cinnamon desktop GNOME Shell 3.x fork...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faster?

The real question is, is it any faster?

Last time I tried Cinnamon, the problem I had with is that it was too slow!

Bringing up the launcher has an unbearable delay. It is just too slow. Has too much latency.

Comment

There were some really neat features in there.
      Especially Edge-Snapping could be very useful.

Would really love seeing such a feature in Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        The real question is, is it any faster?
        You keep asking that. Why don't you get a LiveUSB and try it yourself? Or, maybe you should ask Mint users on their forums if you're not up to seeing for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
          There were some really neat features in there.
          Especially Edge-Snapping could be very useful.

Would really love seeing such a feature in Unity.
          Mutter has had edge snap since close to the beginning. I thought cinnamon forked well after this feature was introduced?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            Mutter has had edge snap since close to the beginning. I thought cinnamon forked well after this feature was introduced?
            I thought that, too... Snapping is really an old feature of gnome/mutter. Maybe for some reason they ripped it out or deactivated it?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Originally posted by oleid View Post
              I thought that, too... Snapping is really an old feature of gnome/mutter. Maybe for some reason they ripped it out or deactivated it?
              Are you sure you aren't thinking about Edge-Tiling?
              Look at the original post to see the difference

Unity have Edge-Tiling which is also a great feature, but sometimes
              Edge-Snapping would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Are you sure you aren't thinking about Edge-Tiling?
                Look at the original post to see the difference

Unity have Edge-Tiling which is also a great feature, but sometimes
                Edge-Snapping would be better.

You're right. Mutter has Edge-Tiling, even if it only works for windows convering half of the screen and not quarter-screen-sized windows. Edge snapping, as shown at your link, is different.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  You keep asking that. Why don't you get a LiveUSB and try it yourself? Or, maybe you should ask Mint users on their forums if you're not up to seeing for yourself.
                  There's no live image with Cinnamon 2.0 available yet, AFAIK the only way to get it for now is from the nightly PPA or building it yourself...

Comment

Working...
                  X