XWayland Sees Some New Code, On X.Org 1.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    but you do have a community repo in Arch just need to get it voted in from the AUR
    LOL...Did you not read <or allow to sink in your brain> my comment, that you're replying to?? wtf?

No one is voting on them / nor are they popular (in the AUR) - so they wouldn't be in the [Community] repository. ie:

Originally posted by Archlinux Wiki
    Q: What is the difference between the Arch User Repository and [community]?
    A: The Arch User Repository is where all PKGBUILDs that users submit are stored, and must be built manually with makepkg. When PKGBUILDs receive enough community interest and the support of a TU, they are moved into the [community] repository (maintained by the TUs), where the binary packages can be installed with pacman.
    So popularity is quite low. ie: there is not enough community interest. Then you would to meet the second requirement/guideline to have a package moved from AUR to [Community]...which is having support of a TU (trusted User) aka: the person who is going to maintain the package for the [Community] repo, which i consider to be an "Official Repo" along with the other Official Repo's; [Core] [Extra] & [Multilib] ... <because [Community] is an official repo>...

Your comment is nonsensical. Xwayland belongs where it is right now. It will end up in the Official Repos when it's ready. For people who want to play around with it now, they can.
    Last edited by ninez; 09 September 2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
      LOL...Did you not read <or allow to sink in your brain> my comment, that you're replying to?? wtf?

No one is voting on them / nor are they popular (in the AUR) - so they wouldn't be in the [Community] repository. ie:

So popularity is quite low. ie: there is not enough community interest. Then you would to meet the second requirement/guideline to have a package moved from AUR to [Community]...which is having support of a TU (trusted User) aka: the person who is going to maintain the package for the [Community] repo, which i consider to be an "Official Repo" along with the other Official Repo's; [Core] [Extra] & [Multilib] ... <because it is>...
      xwayland has 11 votes Wayland had 89 and Mir has 0 LOL looks like we need to vote up Xwayland if this build is any good?

Q: How many votes does it take to get a PKGBUILD into [community]?
      A: Usually, at least 10 votes are required for something to move into [community]. However, if a TU wants to support a package, it will often be found in the repository.

Comment

xwayland has 11 votes Wayland had 89 and Mir has 0 LOL looks like we need to vote up Xwayland if this build is any good?
        Why do you need it to be moved to the comunity repo?
        It's perfectly usable from the AUR.

There are even tools to install then with exactly the same
        CLI as pacman, all compiling and dependency getting are
        done automatically.

However I can't remember the name of any right now as it
        were too long ago I used Arch.

Comment

Can you stop and actually read what people wrote before replying(?), seriously. You are getting fricking' annoying.... "We" don't have to do anything... I use nVidia currently, so i wouldn't be voting for this package anyway (since i'm not using it). If you use Archlinux + Intel + Wayland and thus, that package - then please feel free to voe for it. Other than that, sftu about it...

As it's already been explained; This package doesn't belong in Arch's Official Repositories...and likely won't be included, until X.org version is released with it's inclusion appears in the repos...and even then, it wil end up in [Extra] repo and not [Community] repo....so stop going on about how it needs to be moved into [Community], since that is pointless to begin with.

Comment

but you do have a community repo in Arch just need to get it voted in from the AUR
            No, you mainly need some TU willing to maintain it. There are many packages with lots of votes that are not in community and vice versa. The other thing is that we usually do not introduce VCS packages in [community] or any other official repository. The exception is when the VCS version is way better and stable than a stable version, but the only package that is from VCS that I can think of right now is mplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by stativ View Post
              No, you mainly need some TU willing to maintain it. There are many packages with lots of votes that are not in community and vice versa. The other thing is that we usually do not introduce VCS packages in [community] or any other official repository. The exception is when the VCS version is way better and stable than a stable version, but the only package that is from VCS that I can think of right now is mplayer.
              Mostly due to their license, like dropbox for example.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                Mostly due to their license, like dropbox for example.
                Well, that too. But the main part is about being interested. The truth is that the number of votes has little significance when deciding what will be moved to [community], probably the only really significant part is that a TU can move a package to [community] without asking for consent if it has more > 10 votes and it is not one of the problematic packages (see TU Guidelines for details).

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  So XMir is in a more usable state than XWayland?
                  As the point of XMir and XWayland is to provide a compability fallback for X apps under Mir/Wayland i would say NO XMir is absolutely USELESS in this regard while XWayland has bugs but kinda works.

Comment

Why is XMir useless? I have seen benchmarks running XMir vs X here on phoronix. Seems to work at least for testing. While XWayland seems not to.
                    That is running an entire X desktop environment on XMir. XWayland was not designed to do this because it is stupid, pointless, and can only make things worse. What XWayland lets you do, but XMir does not yet, is run X11 applications in a native Wayland session (something that does not even exist for Mir yet in any useful sense).

Comment

So XMir is in a more usable state than XWayland?
                      Well for the testing done here on Phoronix that might be true.
                      However where the code stands I don't know.
                      XWayland may be closer to completion in how much time it needs.

What's true is however that it doesn?t matter.
                      The only thing that matters is that XMir needs to be be "done
                      enough" by 13.10 and that XWayland needs to be "done enough"
                      whenever someone are about to use that.

At the current stage both are in development and none is done.

Comment

Working...
                      X