Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by johnc View Post
    It's not the 1990s anymore. This excuse held some water in the past, but no longer. You can buy a Dell with Linux. Nobody wants it. There's no market for desktop Linux.
    Well actually there is market for Linux:
    People who dont want to be spied upon and people who cannot afford to. The second category is business (Think F-35 in Norway) who is competing with US corporations which is basically every non-american business And here where should Canonical should have stepped in and market Ubuntu as solution to these problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      you don't know GPLv3 well do you
      I forgot about the "no forking" clause of GPLv3.

Originally posted by Honton View Post
      We were discussing collaboration, and that is not a hostile fork. Besides do you think GPLv3 is the right license for init software?
      Yes.

Comment

• When I first heard of Mir I thought "oh great, Canonical is littering our ecosystem with more fragmentation", but then I thought it could be helpful to have some competition between projects to find the best solutions. Unfortunately I haven't heard of Mir doing anything that's architecturally better, though they claim part of the reason for Mir is that they "are aiming for a more extensible input event handling", so there is a slim chance that might be better...

Comment

I'm not going to say anything against that. But most people don't do what you do. And we were just generally talking about the complete inability of Linux to make any inroads in the desktop market.

I think it's all somewhat moot anyway. The desktop is done. It's finalized: Microsoft has it. That will never change. Ever. Desktop = Windows. Linux had its chance and came up short. Now all the doors are shut.

Even Canonical knows this and that's why they're shifting to mobile where there is still a sliver of opportunity for success. And that's what this Mir is all about anyway.

Though I think the mobile market is quickly consolidating around Android. I'm not saying it's as much a done deal as the desktop, but newcomers are starting off at least a lap behind.
          heres what Mir looks like to me

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramiliez View Post
            Well actually there is market for Linux:
            People who dont want to be spied upon and people who cannot afford to.
            Which using a Linux distribution solves how? Clearly most of the "spying" going on is occurring at a level beyond your local machine.

Comment

• Originally posted by locovaca View Post
              Which using a Linux distribution solves how? Clearly most of the "spying" going on is occurring at a level beyond your local machine.
              One can only assume that... For all we know, there's more spying locally than on the servers...
              Since everything is proprietary, there's no way to tell...

Comment

Windows 8 contains spyware and NSA backdoors. It's an user-hostile system.

Whereas, with open source, you can look at the source code and be sure that there are no spying or malicious features. Sadly, this line of reasoning became a lot less convincing as a talking point ever since Canonical decided to start sending launcher input to advertisers by default...

Anyway, at least the Linux kernel doesn't contain any NSA backdoors. Microsoft is known to co-operate with NSA and share all windows vulnerabilities with them early on, before they get patched (which, it being windows, takes a long time - and you can be sure if NSA says "hold on with this patch, we need this exploit for a while longer", MS will jump to obey).

Comment

• Originally posted by ryao View Post
                  How did you determine that? I have read claims that the L4 kernel is the most used kernel in the world. It is said to be present in basically all mobile phones (as the baseband processor kernel) and various other embedded devices.

For what it is worth, I have yet to find another monolithic kernel that is more widely used than Linux, but I do not have hard numbers on actual usage.
                  A Tron/uiTron derivative may (still) be used more than Linux in the embedded world. but it would be hard to know though; because it is used under so many different names, by many different companies, in many different industries.

Comment

It's not the 1990s anymore. This excuse held some water in the past, but no longer. You can buy a Dell with Linux. Nobody wants it. There's no market for desktop Linux.
                    If there wasn't any market, then dell would not be selling it.

There is a market. Will desktop linux ever be as big as windows? No, no desktop OS will, but that doesn't mean that there is zero market for desktop linux and that its impossible for desktop linux to have any measure of success.

Comment

You answered your own question. Read the dee.'s reply it is true MS is reporting security vulnerabilities to NSA before they are fixed and we should not forget about Stuxnet and Flame and lastly most of MS software is proprietary and its compatible only with itself which translates into much easier backdoor hiding.

Bruce Schneier: The NSA has huge capabilities – and if it wants in to your computer, it's in. With that in mind, here are five ways we can protect ourselves

Comment

Working...
                      X