No announcement yet.

Intel Reverts Plans, Will Not Support Ubuntu's XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goddamn politics over code quality. This is a bad decision, and I'm saying this as someone who thinks both Mir and Wayland should go behind the sauna.

I can hear libv thinking "I told you so".

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
      AFAIK AMD CPUs tend to excel in highly multithreaded scenarios, while Intel has the crown of performance per core. Linux does a better job with multithreading, reducing Intel's advantage.
      Floating point performance with Intel is MUCH better than AMD CPU's.

Comment

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
        Floating point performance with Intel is MUCH better than AMD CPU's.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/450..._i7-3770K.html
        Your link says nothing about floating point...

Comment

FYI, just in case you mean the Sandra results on the benches tab, Sandra is compiled on ICC.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            FYI, just in case you mean the Sandra results on the benches tab, Sandra is compiled on ICC.
            I guess you could be right, looking at it though, it seems core for core, it's still pretty tight at multithreading. But lets not forget Power efficiency. or that the 3770K is 3.5GHz, and the FX-8350 is 4.0GHz.

The 3770K is 77W TDP, while the AMD FX-8350 is 125? that's a LOT of power wasted when pushing them.

The Haswell 4770K Claims 84W TDP, and is at 3.5GHz, however, it's still lower than 125W

Overclock the 3770K to 4GHz, and see what happens to the benchmarks then.

Comment

Originally posted by thegeek6 View Post
              How so? A CPU is a CPU.
              AMD CPU's are power hungry & inefficient compared to Intel CPUs.
              AMD CPUs aren't bad if you are Windows user or live in country with cheap energy and low temperatures.

Comment

Funny how many here have no fucking clue what this decision means.

This does NOT mean that Intel graphics won't work with Mir.
                This does NOT mean that XMir won't work with Intel either.

This only means that Canonical has to maintain the patches on their own. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
                  AMD CPUs aren't bad if you are Windows user or live in country with cheap energy and low temperatures.
                  Very true sir. And they're cheaper too! They're good gaming CPU's too.

But in the end you get what you pay for. I don't feel AMD is innovating much though lately.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Funny how many here have no fucking clue what this decision means.

This does NOT mean that Intel graphics won't work with Mir.
                    This does NOT mean that XMir won't work with Intel either.

This only means that Canonical has to maintain the patches on their own. That's it.
                    That's the practical aspect of it.

The political aspect is that Intel has essentially said Canonical should piss off.

Comment

Originally posted by e8hffff View Post
                      To be expected since Intel's main enemy is ARM and Mir will promote mobile devices.

Oh Well Intel is going the way of the Dodo Bird. Clubbed to Death by an ARM.

All the more for AMD, and Nvidia to thrive off.
                      You do realize Lenovo is on the brink of no longer making surface rt tablets because the new Intel CPUs are just as efficient and much faster?

I know we're talking a different platform, but this is still an indication of the complete opposite of what's going to happen compared to your statement.

Unless, of course, you were just being sarcastic.

source: http://www.neowin.net/news/lenovo-im...for-windows-rt
                      Last edited by Belial; 07 September 2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X