• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    Linux Mint 15 Olivia 64 bit
    0.07%

Linux Mint 14 Nadia 64 bit
    0.06%

i don't know about Linux Mint 13 or LMDE
    Oh, maybe Clem changed the inner coding to make LM register as Linux Mint and not Ubuntu.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
      http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurv...tform=combined

I know, that survey is not absolute, but the evidence is still striking.

And this:

It suggests (that's not a proof) Ubuntu has the majority among distros, although not the majority of total Linux users (I don't really know, how to count in "Other").

DistroWatch suggests, that Linux Minut is ahead of Ubuntu, but you may heard of the issues with taking that site as a measure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DistroW...e_hit_counters
      any one can Change wikipedia

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurv...tform=combined

I know, that survey is not absolute, but the evidence is still striking.
        The "evidence" is not striking, it's meaningless. The same Steam survey also shows that the majority use Nvidia video adapters, when Intel dominates that market. Steam is specifically targeting Ubuntu, I would be shocked if they *weren't* way ahead in that survey. It also completely ignores the area where RHEL is strongest, corporate users.

Originally posted by alexThunder View Post
        And this:

It suggests (that's not a proof) Ubuntu is the strongest distro, although not the majority of total Linux users.
        Yeah, at under 1/3, meaning that over 2/3 of Linux users use something else. Not even close to a majority, even discounting the fact that some types of users are more likely to generate more Wiki traffic than others.

DistroWatch suggests, that Linux Minut is ahead of Ubuntu, but you may heard of the issues with taking that site as a measure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DistroW...e_hit_counters
        Yeah, their hit counter is pretty much useless.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to base your opinions on such a broad statement, you need to be able to back it up because it's completely false in this case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          Ubuntu takes up almost 40% of Linux-based systems in Wikimedia. If that's not the majority for both users and distributions then I don't know what is.
          You need to go back and take a basic mathematics course. It's nowhere near 40%, it's ~32%, and majority specifically means more than 50%.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
            You need to go back and take a basic mathematics course. It's nowhere near 40%, it's ~32%, and majority specifically means more than 50%.
            When you have percentages spread in chunks like 32%, a bunch of discreet 10% blocks and a handful of 5%, 3%, etc etc chunks the 32% is going to be the largest single contiguous slice in the pie and is hence the 'majority', even if it's not >50%.

The "evidence" is not striking, it's meaningless. The same Steam survey also shows that the majority use Nvidia video adapters, when Intel dominates that market. Steam is specifically targeting Ubuntu, I would be shocked if they *weren't* way ahead in that survey. It also completely ignores the area where RHEL is strongest, corporate users.
            The majority of Steam gamers are on Nvidia hardware no matter how much you want to deny this. No self-respecting gamer will allow himself/herself to be crippled with Intel graphics that cannot support 16xMSAA, PhyX and 1080p resolution at an average of >60fps.
            Last edited by Sonadow; 21 July 2013, 11:33 AM.

Comment

All I'm saying is that if you're going to base your opinions on such a broad statement, you need to be able to back it up because it's completely false in this case.
              Well, you can hardly deny the evidence I've brought in here - otherweise you're implying they're fake. I'm aware, that having evidence is something differen than havin a water-solid proof (I explicitly said this).

The survey accounts for gamers, and the market share of NVidia among these people is stronger than among non-gamers. These stats are anything but meaningless. You might argue, that the survey only indicates, that Ubuntu is strong amon Linux gamers, not among Linux users in general - if you want to

I also made a differentiation of majorities, please don't ignore that.

I still wonder, how I'm completely false. I explained, how all this is just evidence, not proof, but that doesn't make the numbers false. You also just explained, how these numbers aren't absolute, but not why they should be false.

Comment

• Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                I was going off what was released in trunk, here: https://code.launchpad.net/~mir-team/mir/trunk

If what you're saying is right, I'm guessing that they haven't released the code for 0.0.6+ yet.
                Maybe they didn't tag it. I don't know what to say, but there's even an article for 0.0.7 from a few days ago, and I saw the package on the mir staging PPA (and it's probably on Mir testing right now, I didn't try it in a few days).

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                are you and BO$$ From the same blood line?
                Even though both of them seem to confuse politics with tech facts at times, their posts doesn't show any similarity, and actually while one seems like a fanboy the other only shares a pragmatic view (might have some suppositions wrong, but assuming all of them are right, his conclusions look correct and pragmatic).

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                That stat for Ubuntu includes Ubuntu plus ALL direct derivatives and others of Ubuntu. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and even Linux Mint register as Ubuntu 64bit or Ubuntu 32bit depending on the architecture.

I'm running Xubuntu 13.04, but if I access a website the webstat logs will read my OS information as Ubuntu 13.04. Even on Steam information via client it says Ubuntu 13.04.
                So? I use Xubuntu, too. And except for the fact it will not use Mir, it's mostly the same for the current discussion.

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                That stat for Ubuntu includes Ubuntu plus ALL direct derivatives and others of Ubuntu. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and even Linux Mint register as Ubuntu 64bit or Ubuntu 32bit depending on the architecture.

I'm running Xubuntu 13.04, but if I access a website the webstat logs will read my OS information as Ubuntu 13.04. Even on Steam information via client it says Ubuntu 13.04.
                Considering they said they lack manpower, I think for what's relevant here they are completely bound to Ubuntu: if Ubuntu fall, they all fall.

any one can Change wikipedia
                Yet anyone can check the article's history.

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                But the current discussion is about Linux desktop *for average Joe*, not for enterprise, since that's obviously Canonical's main niche.

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                Usually, majority is used as another term I don't quite remember, which represents the biggest fraction there is, independently if it's greater or lesser than 50%.

i did not call mrugiero BO$$ i called alexThunder BO$$ and said it was his Twin let me use my fall back and see if it's 0.5 i do have a Neurological Disorder it's why i don't develop any more
                Ouch, sorry to hear that.

hmm you tell me? in fall back
                Can you tell me if your card uses RadeonSI driver? That might explain why it breaks for you but doesn't for me.

Comment

I think there's a language problem here

A relative majority (more than the rest) in North America is called a plurality and in many other languages is called a majority. An Absolute majority (more than half) in North America is called a majority, in other languages is called Absolute Majority

Comment

How could I express my concern about this without being accused of fear mongering?

The difference is, that my concern is reasonable - you wouldn't deny that Canonical really has a big influence and that they really do some damage. Accusing me of fear mongering for seeing this as a concern seems highly unfair to me.
                    You basically said t's either MS/Apple/Canonical world (as a choice) or it's an MS/Apple world. ~ As if we don't support Canonical, the latter is true / we only have a binary choice ~ this is where I fundamentally disagree. Putting my "stock" in Canonical is no different than putting my stock in say Apple... Canonical is a shady company that shouldn't be trusted, by the larger community.

Canonical can do damage yes, but the worst of that damage would be unto themselves. ~ Canonical cannot sustain Ubuntu without the thousands of man-hours by developers, whom have nothing to do with Canonical (ie: not their emplyees), in the larger community. If Ubuntu disappeared tomorrow, it's not like everyone else would just stop what they are doing...

So we agree on that a MS/Apple/Canonical world is not what we want. And I think the more Canonical is integrated in the community and depends on it, the less such a scenario is likely.
                    On the one hand, sure. But integrating Canonical's bunk tech, is not the way to have them more integrated and surely leads to exactly what you said you don't want (MS/Apple/Canonical)... Most projects have already taken the public stance that they will not support Mir ~ Canonical is choosing to not be integrated, by rejecting Wayland (on zero technical merit) and rolling their own solution... It's not the communities fault that Canonical/Ubuntu are doing this <nor do they have a say in it>, nor should they be the one's to clean up this mess (by being pushovers / integrating ubuntu-specific crap).[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Ubuntu takes up almost 40% of Linux-based systems in Wikimedia. If that's not the majority for both users and distributions then I don't know what is.
                    Over 60% of all linux-based systems are NOT Ubuntu... So of the total amount of (linux) users out there ~ less than 40% are using Ubuntu.

meaning 60+ out of 100 users do not use Ubuntu... So while, one can say Ubuntu have a majority when comparing distro to distro (% of users), you cannot say that the majority of *all Linux users* are using Ubuntu ~ because they aren't; that would require 51% of all users to be using Ubuntu ~ which obviously isn't the case...

I get the impression that is what was being implied, although i could be wrong...but yeah, if your just comparing % of users, per distro - then sure, Ubuntu wins - but when you just look at all users, then no, the majority of linux users aren't using Ubuntu.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sergey Shambir View Post
                      Correct client-side decorations implementation development time is 10-100 times bigger rather than just binding binding toolkit to yet another window and OpenGL context creation mechanism. I've spent about 1 hour to port cocos2d-x game engine to SDL library (which just creates and handles window and OpenGL context, and input). Someone should spent months to implement correct client-side decorations.

Enjoy.
                      You can use server side decorations within Wayland.

All phones have integrated GPU, so operating memory always can be also videocard memory. This fact used on Android to make built-in browser, Chrome and Firefox work smoother; there are ANDROID_NATIVE_BUFFER extension in EGL that makes it possible. Also on phones client-side buffer allocation causes bigger memory consumption than server-side; Wayland developers said that wayland doesn't prohibit server-side buffer allocation, however, wayland doesn't prohibit and doesn't implement nothing, it is not display server. Weston is display server, and I see no mechanism to allocate buffer on server side with Weston.
                      Weston is a *reference*. And is not a display server, is a compositor. You have to either decide for or against client side allocation on a given implementation. They choose client side on the reference, probably because they think it's better on the desktop and that's their main testing platform.

Comment

Working...
                      X